Chapter 3

Chapter 3

~~~~~~~~~ 

"Wait, you did, right?" Astrid asked, bolting up, stiffly.

Heather perked up. "He's in the basket, isn't he? That's why you didn't unpack it."

Before I could stop her, Heather tossed the lid of the basket open and exclaimed, "Aw! You're so cute!" She gingerly reached into the basket and lifted Harley into her arms, showing him to the others. "Isn't he just the cutest thing ever?"

Astrid smiled, "Fine, he's cute, but don't expect me to cover for you if Mrs. Manning finds out."

"So, you won't tell?" Kylie voiced my question.

"No, we aren't tattle tells," Ruffnut answered. I let out a breath of relief.

Harley noticed me and reached for me. "Uh uh uh." His little fists opened and closed, leaning as close to me as possible.

I smiled and walked over to him. I gently took him from Heather and cared to him. Heather helped me, not getting enough of the adorable boy.

All too soon, it was time for dinner, and we rushed to get ready. I set Harley on the bed with my finger to lips, signaling him to be quiet. He nodded, unhappy but understanding. I handed him his favorite toy, the dragon stuffy. It could distract him for hours.

We rushed out of the room, leaving Harley alone.

"Will he be fine by himself?" Astrid whispered, shutting the door before someone could spot him.

I nodded, hopeful. Harley had gotten used to me being away for hours at a time over the past week. My aunt made sure of it.

We were led in messy line to the dining hall, where food was brought to us.

"Hey, wasn't Camicazi supposed to bunk with us?" Heather asked.

"Her trip was postponed due to her older brother's wedding, remember?" Astrid reminded. She turned to me, "Don't worry, Cami can keep a secret, too."

I nodded, grateful to be roomed with such supportive roommates. I was worried about poor Harley, being stuck in a basket for hours on end, but now he could roam the room, and I could walk him around the castle at night.

I made sure no one outside our little group was paying attention before slipping my bread into my bag. Heather noticed what I was doing and slipped her apple into her purse. Astrid did the same with her bread. Ruffnut quietly handed me her apple, while Kylie passed me her cookie.

I rushed through dinner, giving them all thank you nods for their generosity. I finished my drink, and a servant filled it back up. I gulped down the last bite, standing up to leave.

"Miss (L/N), please sit back down. We will all go up together in ten minutes," Mrs. Manning, the lady in charge of us girls, told me.

I frowned but sat back down.

"Don't worry, Silence," Kylie whispered. "He'll be fine."

I waited eleven agonizing minutes before Mrs. Manning rounded us up. The servants took care of our dishes, but I snuck my open drink with me. It was just iced water, but I kept it close to my side, desperately trying to hide it.

"Here," Heather said, taking the glass. "I can hide it better in my skirts."

I smiled, knowing she was right. If I had worn a skirt, I would have been able to hide it much better, but I didn't like skirts. They got in the way.

I bit my lip at the slow pace of the other girls, but otherwise didn't show my impatience.

As we reached the hall with our rooms, we split off. Before I could reach my room, Mrs. Manning stopped me.

"Miss (L/N), may I speak with you?"

"Silence doesn't speak, Mrs. Manning," Heather politely informed.

"I know that, Heather, but she can still listen. We will only be a minute."

Heather nodded, but followed the other girls in our room, making sure she didn't see or hear Harley.

I looked at Mrs. Manning, who frowned at me. "You are here to learn to be a princess, (Y/N). You are lucky to be within the castle walls. You can at least dress like a proper lady. Don't you own any skirts or dresses?"

I nodded. I owned one dress and one skirt. I only wore them to formal occasions, like weddings or church or funerals. My aunt and uncle accepted me the way I was, so I didn't need to dress like someone else.

"Wear it tomorrow, then. That is all. Goodnight."

Mrs. Manning walked away, leaving me to know I would be in trouble tomorrow for not dressing like a lady.

I rushed into the room, seeing Kylie and Heather trying to keep Harley quiet. He beamed and squealed when he saw me, and I quickly shut the door behind me and raced to him.

He practically jumped out of Kylie's arms and into mine, instantly silencing himself. He sighed in content, clinging to me.

The other girls smiled at the scene.

"With Harley around, this might not be as boring as I thought it would be," Ruffnut noted.

Astrid smiled, "Hopefully not."

~~~~~~~~~