Chapter 10

Chapter 10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days passed before I saw Hiccup and Toothless again. I snuck Harley to the secret room that morning with a handful of toys to keep him occupied. I had breakfast, lessons, then lunch.

As usual, we were guided to the music rooms after lunch. I made sure to play a little before sneaking off, finding Hiccup and Harley in the hallway right outside the door.

"You're a very talented player," he complimented.

I nodded my thanks, looking back to make sure no one had spotted us before sneaking to his secret room near the end of the hall.

Harley beamed when we entered the forest, running ahead with Toothless at his heels. I reached out, tempted to call his name as he ran out of sight. I still didn't know the area very well, and I didn't want him to get lost. Losing him was my greatest fear.

"Toothless will protect him, don't worry," Hiccup promised, staying by my side.

The walk to the waterfall was peaceful and calm. Hiccup held a blank book in his hands, and I wondered what it contained.

"It's my sketchbook," he explained at the waterfall, noticing my stare. "My dad doesn't like it, but my mom encourages me to use my talents. Do- would you mind if- if I drew you?"

I smiled and shook my head. I would love to see him draw. And I had no problem being his temporary muse. Once we sat down, he told me what he wanted, and I waited nearly an hour, sitting as still as I could manage, not wanting to make it harder for him. His eyebrows came together in slight concentration, and his hand glided across the page over and over. I watched Harley and Toothless splash around in the stream below. Sometimes they'd run through the waterfall, and I was glad I was able to remove his socks and shoes before he started.

"Done," he finally announced.

Still, smiling, I quickly scooted to him to see the picture.

And I was stunned. It was beautiful. He had drawn me with my small but real smile, looking down at Toothless and Harley, who were splashing each other in the drawing. My eyes were shining at the sight of the two of them. The trees blended nicely into the background and his penmanship was perfect. The shading was perfect, putting me directly in a ray of light with a fainter one mixing perfectly to include Harley and Toothless. Harley and Toothless were both smiling, looking slightly away but still at each other as the splashing water hit them.

"I- I'm sorry if- if you-"

I cut him off, engulfing him in a tight hug. I mouthed 'I love it,' easing him into a soft smile.

"I'm glad, mi'lady."

Harley giggled, throwing his soaking body into Hiccup's lap. I quickly closed his journal, shielding it with my bag. Toothless trotted up to me, his tongue hanging out of his mouth, panting heavily. Toothless stilled for a moment, bracing himself.

"Oh, no. Toothless, no!" But Toothless didn't listen to his owner and started shaking, flinging water at us. "Oh! Toothless!" he laughed, curling around Harley to shield him, even though Harley was already soaked and encouraging Toothless.

I couldn't help but laugh as Toothless trotted to the boys, licking Hiccup's face in a formal greeting.

"Hi, bud. Yes, I missed you, too. Toothless- ugh, that was my mouth!" he rolled over, releasing Harley to get away from the onslaught.

"Toothless! Toothless!" Harley cheered, and my eyes widened with joy. The boy rarely spoke, and I probably wasn't the best influence with that habit, but I loved encouraging him to use his voice.

I clapped and smiled, my way of encouraging him. He beamed and repeated the dog's name until he was being licked senseless by said dog.

Hiccup eventually had to rescue the giggling boy. "Alright, bud, that's enough." I was distracted by the sky, noting the time. Hiccup followed my gaze, doing the same. He turned Harley so the boy was resting on his hip. "As much as I wish it was not true, I believe it is time to return to the castle, mi'lady."

I nodded, gathering my bag and his sketchbook. Harley fell asleep in Hiccup's arms, Toothless trotting dutifully beside his owner. We climbed back through the window of his secret room and began the walk to my room.

He laid Harley down on my bed as I emptied my bag and handed him his sketchbook back.

"Thank you, mi'lady, for everything. I really enjoy spending time with you." I nodded in agreement. He was by far the best part of this forced trip. He smiled, "I'm glad you think the same. I hope to see you both very soon." He bid his farewell then took his leave.

A minute later, the girls came in, having thirty minutes to prepare for dinner.

"We have lessons during dinner!" Ruffnut exclaimed as she plopped down on her bed.

"Aw, he's so cute!" cooed Heather. "Did you meet up with Hiccup again?"

I nodded.

"I bet Harley wore Toothless out," Cami chuckled. I laughed at the truth in that statement. They wore each other out.

Astrid smiled, "That'd be a first. That dog has so much energy. I don't know how, but he does."

I ran the brush gently through my hair, putting it in a loose braid straight down the middle.

"How do you do that?" Astrid wondered. "I can only manage a neat braid that goes over my shoulder. How can you make one that goes behind you?"

I shrugged, not knowing how to explain it. I didn't like the feeling of the braid coming over my shoulder. I preferred my hair behind me and most days kept it in a simple low ponytail or loose braid.

Heather helped me change Harley into pajamas before we walked down to dinner together, a few rooms of girls leaving about the same time as us and walking a few feet ahead or behind.

Dinner was a nice soup, salad, and plate of meat and potatoes with a fancy glass filled with plain water and half a dozen utensils. The lesson over dinner was proper table etiquette, using which spoon/ fork and when, using napkins, and eating "politely."

It was the worst thing ever!

The only person having more trouble than me was Ruffnut, but she wasn't even trying, earning a scowl from Mrs. Manning. She gave a sheepish smile but continued to chew with her mouth open, trying to spark a conversation.

A few "popular" girls made fun of us, especially Ruffnut for our low chances of the Prince picking us when we couldn't even eat properly.

"If I can get food from my mouth to my stomach without stupid manners, then I don't care. Besides, I've met the Prince, and he's not my type," Ruffnut retorted.

"You've met the Prince?" another noble asked.

"Yeah, my brother and I are training to me his guards."

"Girls can't be guards," another girl snapped.

Ruffnut dug her fork into the table. "Watch me, sister. I'll be the first female guard, and the best knight ever."

"She is better than most of the boys in training," Cami agreed.

"Definitely better than Tuffnut," Astrid added.

"Tuffnut?"

"My twin brother," Ruff answered Kylie.

"I didn't know you have a twin."

"Lucky you," Cami joked. "Having those two together is catastrophic. They worship Loki, and love pranking just as much."

Ruff chuckled at some memories, "Yeah, we come up with the best pranks."

"You'll meet him when the boys come to help us learn to dance next week or so," Astrid pointed out.

Ruff cheered up, "Oh yeah!" She started laughing, "We have the coolest prank planned. Nobody will be expecting it!"

I cringed, able to imagine a bunch of what-if's that their unknown prank could create.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~