Chapter 4

Chapter 4

  ~~~~~~~~~  

The next morning, I got up at sunrise, my usual time. Harley did as well. He dressed himself as I went to the bathroom to change.

When I walked out, he was looking out the window. His little feet showed from under the curtain. He didn't quite know how to open them, so he usually just lifted it over his head. I laughed at him, tidying up his stuff and scooting it closer to our shared bed.

At home, he had his own little bed in the corner, but he loved cuddling up against me and sleeping that way, so he was being spoiled here.

Breakfast wasn't until nine, so I fed Harley the banana from last night's dinner and refilled the glass of water for him from the bathroom sink. I set the apple on the bedside table for when he got hungry for lunch and pointed it out to him.

I waited until Kylie woke up before making my bed and opening the window. Harley beamed, leaning out to look straight down, giggling in the face of danger.

I was about to stop him when he pulled himself back into the room, looking out to the horizon. He could look down into the huge courtyard below. He could see the sky starting to change colors, but the sun was blocked by the Eastern Wing, not that he seemed to bordering the kingdom of Berk. He could see the valley bordering the kingdom of Berk, and the parts of the sky lighting up in the East, and slower towards the West, but the sun was blocked by the castle walls, barely. Not that he seemed to care.

Kylie got dressed and readied quickly before plopping down beside Harley, who was still slowly munching on his banana.

"Hi, buddy. Did you sleep well?" she asked him, but he barely responded.

He jumped off the window seat, running into my arms. I smiled, brushing my fingers quickly through his shaggy hair, glad he had no knots. Such a lucky little squirt.

Ruffnut got up next, surprised to see us up, but she smiled and cooed a morning greeting to Harley, who shyly ducked his head in the crook of my neck.

Ruffnut had almost finished dressing when Astrid and Heather woke up. They took turns in the bathroom and both greeted Harley.

As nine o'clock rolled around, I clung to Harley as long as I could. He seemed to sense my distress, because he refused to leave my arms.

I refilled the glass of water and closed the window before I set the unwilling child down. He started to whine in protest, but I shushed him and gave him his stuffed dragon, instead. He unhappily took it and sat silently on my bed, watching as we left him alone once again.

There were a few quiet conversations as we were led to the dining hall for breakfast, which was a bowl of whatever cereal we wanted. We were served a glass of juice to drink and a strange glass of milk, specifically for pouring the desired amount into our cereal.

I drank half the juice and ate half of the dry cereal, planning on bringing the remains of the meal to Harley.

"Don't bother," Heather whispered, knowing my plan. "We go straight to lessens after this. We won't be back until afternoon."

My eyes widened, worried.

"Will everything be fine?" Heather asked, hinting on Harley but cautious of eavesdroppers.

I nodded, relaxing my features. I knew Harley would be fine, I just hadn't planned on being away from him for that long.

She nodded, "Okay."

Heather was right. Classes began immediately after breakfast, beginning with the history of the kingdom. Luckily, even peasants were taught basic reading, writing, and math, though it was mainly for the small businesses we ran to keep the village- and the kingdom- running smoothly.

The noble girls had much advanced schooling. Even Ruffnut- and many girls of the Middle Class- did. We were also expected to learn an instrument, and we were to learn a song to play on said instrument in front of the Prince at the ball.

I sighed, knowing from the smirks of the noble girls that they had the upper hand- again. Luckily, it wasn't uncommon for the villagers to have basic instruments, such as a hand drum, fiddle, wooden flute, or acoustic guitar. And as the silent girl, I often played an instrument during the festival's- one for each season, every birth, and every wedding.

But some other peasants weren't so lucky.

And there wasn't a familiar instrument in sight.

"Silence!" Kylie called, enthusiastically.

I scurried over to her, just for an expensive looking violin to be shoved into my hands. I gawked at it, shiny and dent-free. The one my uncle had a few dents, all of which were ignored since the sound was still perfect and we couldn't afford a new one.

I looked around, hearing and seeing a few other girls test out instruments before playing a single string. I quickly jerked the bow back, hanging it on the pinky holding the neck of the violin in place. Instead, I plucked the string the turned the silver knobs beside it, ignoring big knobs on the other end.

By ear, I tuned each string, amazing Heather.

"You can do that without a tuner or someone playing the note for you?" she asked.

I nodded. There was no other way to tune it in the village. Though sometimes another musician would play the note you needed to double check your work. Thinking back, that was how most others tuned their instruments. I just never paid close enough attention.

"Wow. Awesome."

"Silence is the best fiddle player in the entire village," Kylie boasted. "She has a keen ear for music. One I have always admired."

I smiled, shyly, never thinking myself of such. I held the violin at my side, trying not to draw attention to myself.

Thankfully, Mrs. Manning spoke up. "All these instruments are at your disposal. Not literally, you are to care for and tend each instrument you touch. No exceptions. No damage is to come to any of these precious items. If you do not know how to play an instrument or want to practice another, please follow me. For those of you who have picked an instrument, there are dozens of sound proof music rooms to practice in. Please be respectful of each other, the equipment, and the rooms."

"Well, I need to go sign up for lessons," Kylie admitted, taking off.

Heather eyed the harp along the wall, while Astrid huffed to sign up for lessons with Ruffnut and Kylie.

"Well, I'm going to take the harp and start practicing. I would love to hear you play sometime," Heather said, taking her leave.

I followed the significant mass of girls to the music rooms along the hall, taking the one in the far back corner. I made sure the door the was shut firmly before daring to pluck the strings to a village favorite.

 ~~~~~~~~~ 

Silence (How To Train Your Dragon AU) (Hiccup x reader OC)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें