2.16 | Definitely Not the End

[ Chapter Thirty-Seven ]

     ONCE KLAUS HAD convinced Dahlia to link herself to him first, the witch had been in a rush to get through with the ritual. They all piled into the truck and traveled to the nearest secluded spot where the woman could do her spellwork in peace, which happened to be an orchard.

     Raylynn took to sitting on the lowered tailgate with Hope next to her in her carseat. Somehow, Freya found herself in the back of the truck's bed unconscious. Dahlia moved her after the altercation with the Crescent wolves and Klaus's ultimatum had been dealt with. The witch then proceeded to set up for the ritual to link herself to the immortal hybrid. Klaus leaned against the truck where he had eyes on his daughter and the huntress at all times. He had not said a word since they parked, nor did Raylynn.

     "You're quiet," Dahlia voiced from where she stood behind the table that held her many ingredients. "Are you having misgivings?" She looked over at Klaus.

     Klaus sighed. "I was just looking for a polite way to ask, 'what the hell is taking so long?'" he said with a light smirk.

     Raylynn held back the laugh that wanted to slip through her lips. It was definitely not the time.

     Dahlia gestured to the table before her. "Well, we can begin now," she said and caused the hybrid's expression to fall. "Once we're linked, I'll no longer have to sleep a hundred years again. Your concerns for my status will ease, and I'll finally be able to focus on Hope and Raylynn."

     Raylynn glared toward the woman when Dahlia glanced over her. The witch had another thing coming if she thought she would just go along with being linked to her.

     Klaus glanced over his daughter and the huntress. His expression tight. Raylynn caught his subtle nod as he pushed off the truck. She did not return it, but she she held his gaze until he finally turned away. He had a plan, she just knew it. What, she could not tell. She just hoped that it worked.

     "I will only need one drop of their blood," Dahlia said as Klaus walked over to the table, "and then their power shall be mine also."

     Klaus stood across from the witch, looking over his shoulder at the unconscious woman in the back the truck. "What do you want to do about Freya?" he asked.

     "She served her purpose," Dahlia said and lifted her gaze to the crescent moon high in the sky. "So, tonight, at the moon's apex, I'll end her life, and once our link is severed, the bond that I share with your daughter and the young witch will become permanent."