1.6 | Dangerously High Fever

[ Chapter Six ]

[ Chapter Six ]

     RAYLYNN HAD NEVER slept next to an unruly toddler, but she imagined that it would be a lot like sleeping next to Hayley. She did not know if her restless nature had to do with her fast growing stomach or their strange new life that involved Originals and witches. One thing she did know was that her best friend had to calm down the kangaroo kicks to her back.

     That morning, Raylynn had awoken before the pregnant werewolf and made her way down the stairs for breakfast. A shocker to everyone that lived within the home, but she just could not deal with the swift jabs to her spine. The huntress moved passed the living room and had to do a double take at what she saw.

     Klaus and Elijah sat next to each other, both with books held in their hands. There also happened to be a dead bleeding woman on the coffee table, but she chose to ignore that for the time being.

     "So, this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club?" Rebekah questioned when she appeared at the huntress's side. Just as dumbfounded as her.

     Raylynn leaned against the frame that lined the entrance and cross her arms. "This isn't going to become a thing, right? Because that would just be weird."

     Without lifting his gaze from the book, Klaus stated, "Reading edifies the mind, little hunter. Isn't that right Elijah?" He quipped, glancing toward his elder brother.

     "Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus." The well dressed Original agreed, still staring at the typed pages of his own book.

     Raylynn scoffed. "I know that. I read all the time. I mean, there's nothing else to do in this place."

     Rebekah simply ignored her comment and gestured toward the dead woman on the table in the center of the room. "And what's this business?"

     "This is a..." Elijah motioned toward the body. "...peace offering."

     Klaus sighed and lifted his gaze. "I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin that my brother might be a bit peckish."

     "And I explained to my little brother that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicated contrition and personal growth." Elijah said, clearly annoyed by Klaus, who rolled his eyes at the man's words. "Not this –nonsense." He gestured toward the woman's dead body.

     A grin spread across Klaus's lips. "Well, I couldn't very well let her got to waste, could I?"

     Rebekah stared at her brother in complete and utter annoyance. "Well, I suppose I'll fetch the rubbish bin, because she's staining a two-hundred-year old carpet."