1.17 | Pissing Off the Witches

[ Chapter Seventeen ]

     WHEN THE CELEBRATION at the bayou ended, Raylynn made her way back to the compound for a well deserved night's sleep. She wanted a few moments of peace before all hell broke loose. She knew that it was just a matter of time. Despite Elijah's treaty, the factions would never stop their reservations against each other. And Raylynn wanted to avoid the fall out for as long as possible.

     The next morning, the huntress woke to the awful sound of hammers and drills from the courtyard. Raylynn groaned in annoyance and tried to block out the loud racket with her pillow, but to no avail. After a few minutes, she threw the thick duvet from her body and pushed herself from her bed. She left her room in only a thin light blue tank top and cotton plaid shorts of the same color, along with a pair of fuzzy striped house shoes. Raylynn walked, more so stumbled, across the second level walkway and found what produced the noise.

     Raylynn looked down at the courtyard and found several construction workers milling around the open space. She remembered when Elijah said that he wanted spruce up the place, but she did not expect it to be a seven o'clock in the morning. Raylynn raised a hand to rub the sleep from her eyes as she made her way down one of the staircase to meet the Original in the center of the room. "Elijah, seriously? It's too early for this." She yawned.

     He turned to her with an apologetic expression. "I apologize for waking you. I only intended to annoy Niklaus a bit." He stated honestly.

     "Well, next time wait until after noon. I need my sleep." Raylynn retorted.

     Elijah did not get the chance to reply, as Klaus interrupted their conversation. "Enough with the racket!" He exclaimed, moving down the staircase with the red haired witch behind him.

     The Original turned toward the hybrid with a slight smirk. "Is there a problem, brother?" He shifted his attention to the workers. "Gentlemen, please." They all fell silent and and quietly made their way from the courtyard.

     Klaus glared at his brother. "I agreed to a general sprucing up, not a bloody three-ring circus."

     "Marcel and his minions abused our home for the better part of a century. Now, you might be content to live in squalor. I'm not." Elijah said in annoyance.

     "I agree with your brother." Genevieve inserted herself into the conversation. "It's a new era in the French Quarter. This place could use a makeover."

     Klaus grinned. "Careful, Elijah. When this one agrees with you, it's a sure sign she wants something."

     Raylynn rolled her eyes and then scrunched her nose in disgust. "I swear I'm going to puke one of these days."