21: fruit snack

Lance turned the page and took a bite of his apple. The slight crunch was barely heard over the noise in the cafeteria. He could barely put the book down it seemed, he was almost done and Lance was determined to finish. Something hit him in the face and he closed his eyes and sighed. He glanced up from the book to stare at the culprit. Romelle was aiming another gummy at him with one of her eyes closed and her tongue peeking out from the corner of her mouth. He raised an eyebrow at her. She grinned at him and popped the fruit snack in her mouth.

"You've been oddly quiet." She mused. Rifling through the package for her favorite gummies, completely disregarding the ones she disliked.

"And you just wasted a gummy." Lance pointed out and bookmarked where he was. He took another bite of his apple and glanced at Keith's neat handwriting sprawled in the margins. Lance wasn't sure why Keith wanted him to read it. He supposed it was a good book but the way the other male was adamant on him reading it made him think there was another reason why Lance needed to read it.

"It was just an orange one." Romelle shrugged. "So are you enjoying your book?" She asked and dropped the packet to take a sip of water.

"I think so. I'm just... I don't know. Maybe I need to reread it. I feel like I'm missing something." He sighed and finally closed the book.

Shiro suddenly sat next to him shoveling a sandwich into his mouth. "Hey sorry I'm late." He nodded at the two of them but continued to eat. It was sort of becoming a regular thing and Lance didn't really mind it.

"How's it going Dr. Shiro?" Romelle tightened her ponytail as she asked the simple question.

"Bad," the older male supplied. "I just stepped on a fruit snack." He took a bite of his sandwich and suspiciously eyed the bright colored package on the table. Romelle flushed.

"That would be Romelle. She threw it at me. Oh protect me Shiro!" Lance exclaimed dramatically and Romelle snickered. "Why were you so late today?" Joking aside he really was worried about Shiro.

"The case I'm working on. I just can't figure out why this woman is sick." He sighed and slowed his eating. "I think I'm going to need to call in a consult." Shiro looked down at his sandwich again. "I hate not being able to help people." It was quiet around their table. They all seemed to agree.

"Well I hope you find out why she's here!" Romelle exclaimed and slid the rest of the fruit snacks to Lance. Lance offered some to Shiro. "I'm sure you'll be able to do it." She smiled at him and went to throw out her trash.

"Did your lunch consist of an apple and some fruit snacks." Shiro regarded him with careful eyes. Lance knew he was trying to come off as brotherly but his chest still warmed with that familiarity that he loathed. He cleared his throat and put Keith's book in his pocket. The thought of finishing completely slipping his mind.

"No I had sandwich earlier." He smiled and Romelle sat back down. She relaxed into her chair with a groan. Lance knew immediately what was wrong. "Your feet hurt because you're wearing the wrong shoes." He pointed out crumbling the packet in his hands and chucking it at her. She hit it to the floor and groaned again.

"You really are wearing terrible shoes." Shiro pointed out and pulled a protein bar from his pocket.

"Shitty shoes." Lance laughed and Shiro nudged him halfheartedly.

"Sorry I want to actually look cute. You do realize this is pretty much are dating pool right? When we're here we hang out and then when we leave we still end up hanging out!" Romelle exclaimed. She had a point. The only people he saw were the people in his class and the doctors around the hospital. Maybe he should start looking for a date with the people here. He practically flushed thinking about it.