25: bloody nose

Romelle and Lance seemed a lot closer now than they were before. Which was a bit odd since Lance felt like they were plenty close before. With nothing left unsaid between them, their relationship grew and blossomed into something more. More them. More beautiful.

"We should go out. We've been studying all day and I'm going to lose my mind if I have to read one more sentence." Romelle said suddenly. They were in her apartment sitting in something close to silence. The air was filled with a mixture that smelled nice and he turned the page in his textbook and was about to start the next section. Romelle took off her reading glasses and looked at him expectantly.

"I don't know," Lance began. "Last time we went out you puked in front of a whole bar of people and I was rejected by my longtime crush." Some part of him wanted to stay in and make some tea that Allura had recommended but another part of him wanted to be surrounded by people. She gave him puppy dog eyes and the younger male sighed. "Fuck it. Let's go." Romelle squealed with joy. He stood and looked down at his outfit to see what he was actually wearing. Black jeans and a T-shirt. His jean jacket was in Romelle's car and he could use that to dress up his outfit. It would just have to do for the time being. He glanced over at Romelle who was just in sweatpants and she laughed as she looked over herself. Lance helped her up and took her to where her bedroom was. He flopped down onto her bed unceremoniously as she went directly to her closet.

Romelle pushed the curtain aside and thoughtfully looked at her clothes. Lance propped himself on one of his elbows. Head resting in his hand, he was surprised that he could still smell the diffuser all the way back into her room.

Romelle organized her closet by color. It was sort of cute to see all of her clothing separated by their hue. "You should wear pink," Lance said glancing at the pastel clothing. He thought she always looked nice in pink. Romelle nodded and picked up a few items. She showed them to her friend who either nodded or shook his head. She settled on a pink silk-like top and a pair of black jeans. Lance let her put concealer on him since he hadn't been sleeping that great lately.

"I'll drive there and let you drive back." She smiled and Lance knew that she wanted him to stay somewhat sober. Romelle was the one who wanted to go out so he was alright with being the designated driver. Lance braided her hair the way his sister taught him, it felt nostalgic and comforting. Maybe he would FaceTime Veronica when they were both free. That would probably never happen plus he felt like an annoyance when missing her became too much and he begged to even just talk to her. His sister was very busy and he hated to interrupt.

Romelle convinced him to go to the doctor bar even though every fiber of his being was against the idea. He loved his best friend too much to let her go alone. He bit his tongue and sucked it up. The drive allowed him to prepare himself for the worst of it. Lance knew there would definitely be some stares and it didn't help that he also remembered that he was the bar baby. Part of him wondered that if every time he walked into that bar he would be the bar baby or if it depended on certain factors. Lance shook his head to get rid of the thoughts. Dwelling on things never led him to anything good anyway.

They stepped inside the bar and were greeted with a slight cheer from the bartender. "Didn't think you guys would ever come back." He said jokingly, wiping down the countertops as more people settled into the empty spaces. Lance flushed red at the comment. Now everyone was looking at them. It was even more crowded than it was the first night they went. Romelle was just as comfortable as she was when she was at home. She pushed through the small crowd and ordered them a drink. The bartender began making them as Lance struggled to make himself look like he belonged.

"Are you hungry?" Romelle asked. She was looking at the menu that they offered. How could he say that lately he hadn't been able to eat? That whenever he forced himself the food sat in his stomach like a stone. Lance found himself nodding. He reminded himself that he did feel better when they were together. The doctor to be ordered a basket of french fries and got a round of shots.