Chapter 15

August

School starts in a week from today. Where am I? The airport, headed for Los Angeles. We decided that I'm leaving a week before school starts. I can't finish out my senior year in Doe Farm, which I'm happy about. I have to finish online. That doesn't sound too bad. No one can see me, no one can make fun of me.

The intercom makes an announcement saying that the flight for Los Angeles is boarding now. I decide to make my way over to my shuttle. There, I am greeted by my family and friends. The first person who runs up to me is Meredith.

"Nervous?" She asks.

"Oh,' I chuckle,' you know it."

"Don't be. You'll be fine, Phoenix. Think about everything you've accomplished. You're unstoppable, love." She assures me.

Meredith and I hug.

"Thanks for everything." I thank her.

She departs from me slowly. "Anytime."

Then, Cynthia comes up to me. She hugs me and basically repeats what Meredith said. Next it's Grace.

"I knew it'd be you. Congratulations, P." She smiles.

"Thanks but I thought it'd be you." I admit.

"Girl, you're crazy! I don't think they need another person who looks like me." She chuckles.

We then hug goodbye one last time and Grace tells me she loves me. Then, comes Elle. She looks upset.

"Now I'm just the Lone Ranger, I guess." She sniffles.

"You'll always have me, no matter how far away I am." I assure her.

"Yeah, but it won't be the same. Amber's going to get worse somehow and you won't be there to protect me. I don't know what I'm going to do." Elle sniffles.

I grab her hands. "Listen to me."

She looks up at me and I begin.

"You know how I always say how beautiful you are? It's about time you start believing me. You really are beautiful, Elle. More beautiful than Amber is. Brian Johnson has a crush on you. We can all see it. One day, he'll defend you and break up with Elle and date you instead. Love yourself and be confident. Then, Amber will leave you alone." I smile.

     Elle lets out a sob and then turns to leave. I promise my parents I'll do well in online school and they say they're proud of me. Shiloh makes a joke about how she'll have no one to make fun of anymore without me there. After a while, I board the plane. I sit next to a woman who looks like a hippy. She has long, waist length, gray hair, wrinkly skin, big glasses, a tye dye bandana, a thin body, some baggy harem pants, and a shirt that's cut and flared.

"Hello." She greets me.

"Good morning." I smile.

"So, sugar, what brings you to LA?" She asks.

"I'm working to become a model." I explain.

She looks at me wide eyed.

"Shocking,' I chuckle,' I know."

"No, no, it's not that love. You're gorgeous, of course you can model. I'm excited for you. I think you're really going to like LA." She says.

"So I've heard." I respond.

"What's your name?" She asks.

"Phoenix." I say.

She holds out a hand. "I'm Dolly."

Other than that, the plane ride to LA is relatively quite. When I leave the airport, a limo driver waits for me to take me to this hotel where I'll be staying for a while. All I can say is I'm not in Kentucky anymore.

* End of part 1