Chapter 3

I go downstairs for breakfast with my computer in hand. Dad's just getting ready for work and mom's still asleep. She'll be up soon though.

       "What's the computer for?" Dad asks.

       "To see if this agency's legit." I say.

       "P,' he sighs,' I meant later."

       "Right. Sorry, I knew that. I'm just anxious. Like, really, really, really anxious." I say.

       He kisses my forehead.

       "Have a good day, baby girl." He says.

       "Bye." I reply.

I look at myself in the mirror. Okay, I have some good features. I have curves which girls could envy. But I'm still so fat. Why would a modeling agency ever want me? I am distracted by my phone going off.
      Elle 👏🏾: Did you not hear me honk my car horn? I'm outside.
       Me: I'll be right out. Sorry.
       I get my things and rush outside. In Elle's car, I can't stop thinking about modeling. What if mom is right? What if this whole thing is all a scam? I mean, I saw how my parents and sisters looked at me yesterday.

"P?" Asks Elle.

"What?" I ask.

"Do you even know what I said?" She questions.

"Yeah." I lie.

"Really? Then what'd I say?" She asks.

I stutter a lot. Maybe I shouldn't lie to my best friend.

"Should I believe my family? Am I really pretty enough to model?" She asks.

"Yes,' I reply,' Elle, you are literally the most gorgeous girl I know. Hell, you're the most gorgeous girl to ever attend Fairview High."

       "I mean,' she says,' maybe I could be a plus size model. That's probably not what the agency was looking for though."

       "Girl, are you crazy? You? A plus size model? Maybe back then but now, you literally look like Gigi Hadid. I think anyone could confirm that. If you think you're fat, then I'm a fucking whale." I scoff.

Elle puts a hand on mine. Even her hands are perfect. That might sound weird but Elle could even be a hand model.

"Phoenix, you're so beautiful. Like, I'm jealous of you. You're literally so pretty." She claims.

"How am I so pretty? Look at me." I pout.

"Exactly, look at you. I'm jealous of your skin tone, you're hairs curly and pretty, you have boobs and thighs and hips and everything. Phoenix, you should've been the one who got scouted." Elle smiles.

       When we get into school, all the hot and popular guys stare at Elle. Elle usually doesn't notice but everyone else does. Especially the guys' hot and popular girlfriends. They love to give Elle shit about it. Elle thinks they bully her because she's ugly.

       "Elle!" Shouts a familiar voice.

       She can be identified as Amber Smith, every high school's stereotypical mean girl. For starters, she has long, blonde hair, beautiful blue eyes, skinny, 5'9, no acne, a gorgeous smile, and is tan. She's usually followed around by Christina Warren and Jordan Liu. Amber plays field hockey and lacrosse. She's also dating Brian Johnson, the biggest jock in this school. He plays football, wrestling, and baseball. Brian's also the guy who stares at Elle the most.