Chapter 9

"So, what about the show?" Asks Elle the next morning.

"What about it?" I reply.

"Why are you so nervous about it?" She asks.

"It's a swimsuit show or something. It's obviously happening in the summer and it's taking place at Bakersfield Lake." I explain.

"That sounds awesome!" She exclaims.

        "No, it's not awesome. It's literally the worst." I sigh.

       "Why?" She asks.

       "I'm pretty sure it's some sort of swimsuit show,' I reply,' at the biggest lake in the county. Do you think I'm confident enough for that?"

"Well, you should be." She says.

       "Thanks but it's not that easy." I reply.

       "What's not that easy?" Asks Amber.

       I roll my eyes and turn around to face the bitch.

      "None of your business." I sassily reply.

       Elle and I walk ahead before she says something else.

       "Is it about the fashion show? Honestly, I'd be insecure if I looked like you." Amber says.

Elle and I are walking away when we hear someone call Amber's name.

"Hey!" She shouts.

       We turn around and see Grace. She's yelling at Amber and Amber's getting all offended. Eventually, Amber and Grace walk up to us.

       "Phoenix." Amber starts.

       She looks at Grace, who looks back at her. Amber's eyes are filled with a look of regret.

       "Phoenix, I'm sorry." She sighs.

       "For?" Grace furthers.

       "For being a bitch." Sighs Amber.

       She then walks away.

       "Wow." I say.

        "What?" Grace replies.

        "I never thought I'd see the day that Amber Smith apologizes to me." I marvel.

"Someone had to get her to do it. I have to go to class but you're beautiful, remember that." Grace reassures me.

"I love her!" I exclaim after she leaves.

Elle doesn't reply. Jealous much? But I don't want a repeat of last time so so don't say anything. Thanks to Grace, Amber doesn't bother me for the whole rest of the day. It feels nice, to be honest. I'm really grateful so at lunch, I ask Grace to come sit with us.

"Why does Amber hate you guys so much anyway?" Grace asks.

       "Because we're ugly." Replies Elle.

       First of all, she responded incredibly rude. Second of all, who said that we're ugly?

"You guys aren't ugly, you're beautiful." Grace assures us.

"I know we're not ugly,' I say, eyes narrowed at Elle,' I'm ugly. Amber's just jealous of Elle because Brian always checks her out."

       "Phoenix, what did I say? You don't have to lie to me, okay? I know I'm not pretty and guys like Brian Johnson would never check me out in a million years." Elle responds.

      She has a cold, dead look in her eyes. I've never seen Elle get so mad at me.

      "Elle, what are you talking about? I've heard Brian talking about you in class." Grace confesses.

"Uh-huh, sure." Elle replies, arms crossed.

I've had it with this girls attitude.

"Elle, can I have a word? In the bathroom?" I ask.

"What's going on with you?" I ask.

"Nothing, I'm fine." She denies.

"Fine? Then what happened back there? I wouldn't call that fine. Why did you just snap at Grace and I like that? Look, if you're jealous, I already told you that you have no reason to be. Why can't all three of us be friends?" I ask.

"Dude, do you not hear yourself? You're going against everything you said last night." Elle responds.

"And how am I doing that exactly?" I reply.

"You said that it's just you, me, and Anthony. The Three Musketeers. We have to fend for ourselves. Now that Anthony's gone, it's just you and me. After what we've been through, how do we know we can trust Grace? What makes her better than Amber?" Asks Elle.

"Do you not hear yourself? Grace is nothing like Amber. What has she ever done to us? To anybody, for that matter? Grace is known for being the sweetest girl in the grade, probably the school. She defended me and so far, has been nothing but nice to you. Why can't you give her a chance?" I ask.

     The bell rings. Elle shoves past me and goes into the busy hallway. I do the same.