Chapter 6

"Where are we?" Elle asks.

I can't say I blame her questioning. The audition is in some sketchy complex. Nothing has names on it or anything.

"I agree. This is some sketchy place to have a birthday party." I say.

The shitty excuse I gave Elle this time is that this is where my little cousin is having a birthday party.

"This is your cousins party?" She asks.

"Yes, why?" I ask.

"Then why are girls from school going in there?" Asks Elle.

I can't make up a believable excuse for this one.

"I don't know." I lie.

"Phoenix, is there something you're not telling me?" She asks.

Elle faces me with her arms folded over her chest. Someone knocks on the window. Elle rolls down the window on my side. It's Amber.

"Come to spy on the models, creep?" Amber asks.

"What? No! I just came to drop Phoenix off at her cousins birthday party." Elle says.

She narrows her eyes at me.

"Oh, that's right! Phoenix, you ready to get looked at by those judges? You're so big, they won't know where to look first. The jiggly legs, the un proportional curves? Oh, there's just too much to laugh at." Amber says.

"Leave me alone." I say.

I crank the window back up. Elle is still giving me the stank eye.

"Elle, I can explain." I sigh.

"Oh, there's no need to. I think I got it. You lied to me and you got scouted? How could you?" Elle asks.

"I didn't want to make you feel bad, Elle. I know how much you wanted this and deserved this. Plus, I was afraid you'd laugh at me because I got scouted." I explain.

       "Wow,' Elle scoffs,' after all these years of friendship, you'd think I'd pull an Amber on you? How ruthless do you think I am?"

        "Elle, I-you know what, Phoenix? Get out of my car." Elle demands.

       Realizing there was no resolving this situation, I get out of Elle's car. She's being an over dramatic bitch anyway. A real friend would be happy for me.

       In the sketchy building, I take a seat in the back. I don't want anyone from school seeing me. It's bad enough that Amber knows.

       "Mind if I take a seat?" Asks a familiar voice.

       I turn around and see Grace, the one person I can stand in life right now.

"Yeah." I say.

"Hey, you okay?" Grace asks.

"Yeah." I lie.

We're about to continue our conversation when we are stopped by someone. Actually, multiple gorgeous people. Two guys and three women.

"Can I have everyone's attention?" Asks an older woman.

She has short, blinding white hair, pale skin, vibrant blue eyes, and a tall and thin frame. She has high cheek bones that every girl envy's, and a slim nose. She looks good for her age.

"Some of you may recognize me because I scouted you. But for those of you who don't know me, my name is Cynthia Bank and these are some fellow scouts,' she begins, going down the line,' Scarlett Orlando, Meredith Hale, Toby Williams, and Levi Presley."