I nod, but he raises a brow.

"Yes." I correct myself.

"You have to start doing physical exercise in your own time. Build up your stamina. I go for a run every morning, you can join me."

"A run in the morning? But that's going to get in the way of my sleeping in. I already have it scheduled." I say  in a joking manner, trying to amuse him, but his face remains stern.

"You're coming for a run with me every other morning. I'm not joking about."

"I'll have to think about that. I don't know how much time I can bear in your presence."

He pauses for a moment.

"Okay, let's get started." He grabs his bottle of water and his cloth, before stepping into the ring.

Wait, what?

"Why are we going in the ring? Aren't we supposed to learn the basic moves on the pads first?" I ask as I follow him.

"You said you had many self defence classes when you were younger. You would've already learnt that stuff."

"Yes, years ago."

"Muscle memory," he shrugs. "So come on, get in the ring. We're diving straight into direct contact. We're not wasting time on learning how to throw a basic punch on a pad."

"What if I need to?"

"In a fight, you're going to be fighting people, not punching bags. So get used to it." He nods. "Jacket off. You're gonna get hot."

"N-No, I'm fine." I say, conscious about wearing just a sports bra and yoga pants in front of Daniel.

"You're going to get really hot, but suit yourself. Feel free to remove it when needed."

"Okay." I reply, tightening my ponytail.

"Arms up." He demands, balling his hands into fists and using them to cover his face.

I obey him.

"Basic rule: always keep your arms in front of your face. That's the thing you need to protect."

"Okay."

"Your hands aren't positioned correctly. Hang on." He walks over to me, comes up behind me, firmly grabs both of my wrists. "Here. Like this. Get used to holding them like this. Right hand covering your chin and your left hand raised slightly higher. Got it?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, what are your natural instincts like? Good, great, okay, shit?"

"I'd say they're pretty good."

"Don't tell yourself that you're good until I say you are."

"Hey--"

I'm cut off by a sudden fist being thrown in my direction. Rapidly, I move my head back to dodge it.

"What the hell?! What was that--"

Then another fist. And another dodge.

"You keep letting your guard down." He holds his hands in the position he just taught me. "Never let your guard down."

"Well, I'm sorry you keep distracting me with your discouraging words."

"Distractions are needed when teaching self defense. I did that intentionally as a test and you instantly failed. In a fight, your head won't always be thinking straight and your focus won't always be precise, you need to learn how to deal with distractions. Especially if you ever end up being in a conflict with multiple people."