Chapter 10

Tori

"I'm done." he says, placing down his pen as he leans back in his chair.

I finish sipping my toffee latté, lifting my eyebrows. "You are?"

He nods his head.

"Every question?"

He nods his head again. "Yes, Tori."

"Wow," I grab his notebook, sliding it over to me so I can view it properly, only to find that he has in fact finished each and every question. "This is good, Daniel."

"I don't need your praise," he begins bitterly, "Just mark it so I can leave."

Why would anyone ever reject praise? He's so weird. Jonah loves it when I let him know he's doing good.

"Okay," I roll my eyes, "You don't need to be so rude. Remember that I'm taking my own time to help you out."

"Your own time?" He laughs. "What is that? If you weren't sat here, tutoring me, what would you be doing? Sat on your bed with a teenage magazine?"

Wow. Somehow I'm going to have to grow use to this bluntness of his.

"What the hell is your deal with this stereotype of girls?" I lean closer, frowning as my voice turns hostile. "Honestly, Daniel, tell me what's going on there."

"You really want to know?" He raises a brow.

"Yes." I answer too quickly.

"I don't know," he shrugs, "I guess it's just that every girl I come across, every single girl, is just the same. And it has nothing to with what I said to you before about the cliché movies or anything, that's just a cover up for what I really think. It's purely about how every girl throws themselves at me, practically begging for my attention, but they never do it because they like me, they just do it for the popularity or maybe because they think I'm simply hot. They're just all the same; they've changed my perception of girls altogether. To me, they're just attention-seeking, worthless, meaningless people. I know this may sound bad, but it's true. And instead of taking it into account that I'm wasting my time, instead of pushing them away, I take advantage of it and take almost every girl home. I should respect them more, even though most of them don't deserve respect, but they're still women. And I don't." He shakes his head. "I'm not a gentleman, Tori."

Slowly, he looks up when he says my name, his usually freezing cold eyes now a different shade, a shade that can't easily be deciphered.

Why do I feel sorry for him?

No. He's cruel.

"Daniel, some of that sounds perfectly understandable, but some of it also sounds unbelievably pathetic. Just because some type of girls throw themselves at you, doesn't mean that we're all like that. I, for sure as hell, know I'm not like that. Of course you're going to attract the wrong ones by the way you act. If you want to attract someone worthy, maybe you should try and make yourself worthy enough to have that good person in your life. You don't only need to learn how to respect women more, but yourself too. Don't let every girl climb into your bed."

He looks at me in confusion, his eyebrows creased together.

"How do you do it, Tori?" He asks me with a tone of true curiosity. "How the fuck do you respect yourself so much? How do you value yourself?"

"I know what I'm worth, Daniel. I may not be that important to the world, I may only have a few friends, a small family, but I know what I'm worth. I'm a good person and I won't let anyone take that for granted. I deserve good, Daniel. And I'm not going to settle until I find it. You need to do the same."