Chapter 16

Daniel

My hand shakes uncontrollably as I quickly press the dial button on Jonah's contact. He immediately picks up.

"Jonah, what the fu--"

"Shit, Daniel." he curses, his voice sounding slightly breathless. "Shit, shit, shit."

"What happened?" I ask frantically. "Where the fuck is Tori?"

"I-I don't know. I really don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?!" I shout aggressively down the phone, worry taking over my body.

"I-I--"

"Where are you now?" I question, growing impatient at his inability to speak properly.

"The park." I hear him take a breath. "I'm at the park."

The park? This late?

"What the fuck are you doing at the park at this time?"

"We were just--"

"You know what, it doesn't matter. I'm coming now." I end the call before I waste any further time.

"What's wrong, Daniel?" Isabelle asks worriedly, swinging her body as she grips onto the banister.

"N-Nothing. Everything's okay. I just have something I need to do." I kiss her forehead. "I'll be back soon."

"What is it?" She questions curiously.

"You don't need to worry, okay?" I ruffle her hair. "I love you."

"I love you too, Dani," she smiles.

Leaving her expression confused, I turn away and quickly run down the stairs, so quickly that my body nearly tumbles down. When I reach the bottom, I throw on a pair of my black sneakers, before beginning to search for my car keys in a panicked manner.

"Daniel? What's wrong? Where are you goi--" Laurie begins.

"Where are they?" I ask, continuing my search.

"Where's what?"

"My car keys," I take a quick breath. "Where the fuck are my car keys?" I spit, my hand digging through every pocket of every jacket I own.

"I don't know, Daniel. What's wrong?"

Car keys. Car keys. Car keys. Where are they? Where are they?

"Where are they?!" I shout angrily, tugging on my hair.

As I realise further searching is futile, and that I'm only wasting time, I quickly unlock the front door.

"Fuck it." I say before passing through the door, running down my driveway.

"Daniel! Where are you going?!" She shouts, but as bad as I feel for leaving her in a worried position, I can't waste another second, so I continue running.

My legs rapidly speed down the pathway, taking extremely long strides, my heart pumping and breathing staggering.

This is the fastest I've ever run.

And it's all for her.

I run every metre, turn every corner, knowing that the physical pain of my lack of breath is worth it; I need to find her.

My head roams with questions, trying to come up with possibilities of where she could be, valid reasons why this could be happening, but nothing that makes sense comes to mind.

None of this makes sense.

All I can feel is worry. Worry that she could possibly be hurt. She could be crying. She could be waiting for someone to save her. And I want to be the one.