Felicity (53)

The sound of waves crashing woke me up from the nap I had managed to take while laying out on my towel in the hot sand. I put my arms out on either side of me and used them to sit up and rest my weight on my elbows. I had to squint against the sun still sitting high up in the sky to be able to spot Doug and Peyton sitting on the wet sand just where the waves reached after crashing just a bit farther out. Every time the water would lap at their feet Peyton would scream in absolute horror, until the ocean would pull back, then she would laugh hysterically.
I smiled at the sight and used a hand to shield my eyes so that I could get a better view. It had taken him a while to convince me, but after asking me about...seven times I finally agreed to spend a day at the beach. It wasn't that I didn't want to go exactly, it's just that there always seemed to be a reason not to. My mother being sick for one, Doug was working a lot, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't afraid of Anthony and Ryan.
For a while, the excuses had worked. That is, until Doug countered them, claiming that a break from all the chaos would be good for us. I wasn't sure he was right until we got here a few hours ago and my toes squished into the hot sand while the salty breeze from the ocean brushed against my cheeks.
In fact now that I was here, I never wanted to leave. It wasn't too crowded either which was a nice bonus. An elderly couple was set up to our left a few yards down, a young teenage couple was on our right, and a bit further down the beach was another young family like us, except that had a little boy with them who seemed to be about a year younger than Peyton if I had to guess.
So aside from the crashing waves and seagulls it was rather silent and relaxing. It was no wonder I managed to fall asleep, even if it was for a little while.
Douglas turned around at that moment and we locked eyes, each of us grinning at the other until he motioned me over to join the two of them with his head.
I pushed myself up and off of my towel, walking over to where they were sat and took my place beside him.
After the last wave pulled away from us, he placed Peyton in between my legs and she began to claw at the wet sand under her. When the next wave came back toward us she screamed and splashed at the water playfully, effectively getting me a bit more wet than I would have liked but if she was having fun, I really didn't care. It almost seemed rare that we were able to have moments like this.
"You were definitely right. We needed this." I said with a sigh, not bothering to look in Doug's direction.

He laughed a bit to himself and used a hand to splash some water back in Peyton's direction. "I know we did. It just took you some more time to admit it." he then grinned, finally managing to look up at me. I took that opportunity to place a kiss on his cheek. I considered kissing him on the lips too but within a millisecond Peyton's hands were pushing up at both of our faces.

"Ew gross!"

Doug and I both laughed at this until Doug finally stood and held out a hand for Peyton to take. "Come on sweetheart, let's go build that sandcastle I promised you."

"Okay daddy!" Peyton cheered happily while pushing herself up out of my lap to follow her father over to where all of her beach toys laid out in the sand.

While they began to build the walls of their structure I took the time to look out at the water, appreciating the crashing sounds and the wet air as it lapped at my face. It was so calm. I closed my eyes again and let my other senses heighten a bit more, so I could really feel the atmosphere around me. It was the most relaxing time I have had since I can remember. Not once did I think about Anthony  or Ryan. I didn't think about what had happened with Jamie. I finally let my guard down and let myself feel alive. Unfortunately that was the biggest mistake of my life.

I didn't know how much time had passed since Doug and Peyton went to go play in the sand, but a short while later a shadow loomed over me and I looked up to see Peyton standing there covered in sand, crossing her legs and squirming around a little bit.