Felicity (51)

Things somehow went back to normal after that horrific night. A few weeks went by without any threats from Anthony or Ryan or whoever the hell was trying to bring us down. Thank god for it too, because I wasn't sure how much more I could take. My mother ended up staying with us for a few days which really was a big help with Peyton. Especially since I decided to start taking some online classes, it was a lot to juggle and keep up with. Having Doug to support me was one of the best things that had ever happened to me, but sometimes it made me feel like a gold digger. Going back to school, even online made me feel more independent. It gave me something to do during the day while Doug was away at work and my hope was that I would be able to find an actual job for myself since sitting around on my butt all day was starting to get old. Sometimes I really felt useless and the fact is that I really wanted to contribute more to this amazing life I now had. It wasn't fair of me to just expect Doug to pay for everything and mooch off of him the rest of my life, even if he was going to be my husband. I wasn't sure what I would do once I got a degree, but I figured I would figure that out when the time came.

It was also a relief to have my friend back. Sam came over to my house a lot after that night to visit. At first it was simply just to go over the events of that night and to hopefully discover that we missed something. When that was a bust I would then fill her in on all the details of the previous threats in hopes that maybe I hadn't realized something that she did. But we always came up empty and honestly it was always super disappointing. That's when her visits started to be more fun. Sure the wine helped, but instead of talking about Ryan or Anthony we talked about our lives ever since we had been separated. I told her stories about Peyton as she was growing up and Sam told me about her sisters weird vegan phase. I told her how great Doug was in bed and she told me about the new guy she had met. It felt like we were in high school all over again, like nothing had ever changed and we didn't spend years apart from one another. During one of our long evenings of talking I even popped the question...asking her to be my maid of honor at my wedding and of course she accepted...after squealing relentlessly into my ear with excitement. So naturally after that our discussions then consisted of which flowers to have as the center pieces, searching online for dj's, thinking about what flavor cake I should have. I wasn't going to make any final decisions without asking Doug first of course, it was his wedding too and I told myself I wasn't going to make it huge and extravagant like Jamie had tried to do. I really didn't even mind a small wedding with my closest friends and family. Being with Doug was the only thing that really mattered anyway. I wouldn't even mind getting married to him in one of those speedy ceremonies somewhere in Vegas. It's not my ideal situation. But as long as I got to call Douglas my husband afterwards, I'd be okay with it.
Doug and I were on better terms than we ever had been in the past. Nearly every night was rather eventful in the bedroom and when he wasn't working we spent almost every waking moment together; with Peyton included of course. Her favorite day definitely included the short trip we took to the petting zoo. I still laugh when I remember how many times she asked Douglas for just one more quarter because some of the goats still looked starving. Even though ten other children were sticking their tiny little hands through the gaps in the fence and watching as the goats licked at the food in their little palms with their tongues. But my favorite part, was the way Doug stuck one of his hands into the back pocket of my jeans and held me close at his side. It was so old school yet oddly adorable. I even remembered thinking that day that I could get used to living like this, happy and content. Living out my days with Doug as my husband and raising Peyton to be a strong, beautiful girl. And who knows, maybe even expanding our little family one day and giving Peyton a brother or sister to play with. I felt like I was living a fairytale. But happy endings aren't ever that easy. I should have known that too, especially with my luck. Because that's when everything went to shit.

———————————•———————————

{Just thought I'd give you guys a little sneak peek as to what might be coming up next, which is why this chapter is so short. But I hope you like it anyways! Please comment, vote and don't forget to follow! Weekly updates are going to be on Wednesday's unless I'm busy, it might vary a tiny bit.}