Felicity (21)

The rest of the night went a lot different than the first half. The food Jamie had made went right in the trash the moment we had managed to stop making faces at the putrid odor and Douglas was on the phone not even five minutes later ordering us some pizza. 

Peyton had made some sort of comment, wanting to make cookies with her father so while we waited for the pizza to be delivered the three of us spent our time pulling together some chocolate chip cookie dough. Although when it came down to it, most of it had gone on our faces or our stomachs and we were only able to get a few cookies into the oven. 

"Next time you wenches need to eat less cookie dough!" Doug laughed while licking his fingers clean.

"Did you just call us wenches?" I replied with a grin, placing my hands on my hips.

"So what if I did?" he said back tauntingly, placing his hands on his hips as well, making Peyton giggle from where she sat on the kitchen counter. 

"Well maybe I can just start calling you by your famous nickname.." 

His eyes narrowed at me and his lips curled into a smirk. "You wouldn't dare..."

"Oh I think I would, Duggie." I snickered, trying to hold back my laughter but unfortunately I couldn't say the same for Peyton. She let out a loud, adorable giggle at hearing her fathers high school nickname. 

"I warned you." He said with a smile before rushing toward me. With an amused squeal I dashed away from him and into the living room. But I wasn't quite fast enough and I soon felt his hands on my waist tickling me senseless. My weak spot. Peyton laughed as she watched us and refused to come to my rescue. 

Before I knew it, I was then lifted into the air and tossed onto the couch where I squired as his hands continued their assault on my waist. I swatted at his hands and pleaded mercifully but it did no good. In the end when he finally stopped his face was only inches from mine and I could feel his warm breath on my face. He smelt like cookie dough and mint, a perfect combination if you ask me. 

We locked eyes with each other and for a long moment we stayed like that, neither of us daring to move away from one another although we probably should have. He and his fiance split not even three hours ago and it hadn't been a clean one. In fact it would have to rank on the top three list of sh*tty break-ups. 

It left me wondering how I managed to find myself lying underneath him on the couch, his hot breath mixing with mine while our daughter snacked on the 'leftover' cookie dough in the kitchen before we had eaten dinner. It was everything I dreamed of since Douglas and I had reconnected...but it was happening too fast. Yes, he hasn't exactly made a move on me yet and I wasn't sure that he would but this still felt wrong. It wasn't the right timing yet. So when there was a knock on the door I couldn't have been happier to have the distraction.

"You should get that.." I whispered.

He nodded his response and pushed himself up off of the couch and towards the door to get the pizza while I walked back into the kitchen to clean up Peyton's sticky face. 

"Geez, did you get any of it in your mouth?" I teased her with a laugh. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~

A short while later the three of us were seated on the couch picking at our pizza while watching Finding Nemo on Doug's large flat-screen tv.  Peyton was about ready to doze off so as soon as I finished my pizza I let out a quiet sigh and brushed her hair away from her forehead. "I think it's time for us to head home."

Peyton's eyes instantly met with mine in panic. "Mommy no!" she said, shaking her head furiously from side to side before using her tiny arms and legs to move closer to her father. "Stay with daddy!" she whined.

Doug only smirked and wrapped his arm around her with a smile. Traitor..

"See? She already likes me more than you." he said with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes in his direction and stood up off the couch, stretching  my arms over her head. "That's only because you have spoiled her with cookies and pizza in less than twenty-four hours."

"And is that a crime?" he asked jokingly.

"Yes. Now come on Peyton, we need to go home." I tried again, going to the dining room to find her coloring book. 

"No!" I heard her yell again from her spot on the couch.

I rubbed my eyes from frustration and turned back towards her, about to speak when Doug chimed in. 

"You know, you guys can stay here tonight if you want.." he trailed off. 

"Yeah mommy! We can build fort!" 

"Doug that's a nice offer but we wouldn't want to be a bother, plus we dont have our clothes." I muttered quietly, not sure that staying the night after everything that has happened would be a good idea.

Shaking his head he stood, bringing Peyton with him. "Oh please, it's really not a big deal. You can borrow something of mine. Besides, it's late and I don't want you taking a bus at this hour."

There was a sense of finality to his voice so it was then that I knew, I would be staying at his place for the night no matter how hard I fought against it.

----------------------•----------------------