Douglas (7)

{So, I decided to post just a Douglas POV chapter and the next one will be Felicity, but Peyton will definitely be in the next chapter and I think everyone is going to love it. Don't forget to vote, comment and follow!}

~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next couple of weeks went by rather smoothly now that I finally had a secretary to help keep my schedule on track. In fact, things were probably better with Felicity as the one to be assisting me. She was punctual and always knew what she was doing, sometimes she even went above and beyond which I was severely grateful for.

I couldn't have been any happier with the way things were going. I had my best friend back and occasionally we went out for lunch or drinks. I had thought about asking her to dinner once or twice but the thought made me feel guilty. Lunch was one thing but dinner was another universe. I wasn't sure why he had felt that way but I figured Jamie wouldn't be too happy to discover I had gone to an expensive restaurant with a friend from work. No matter how you explained it, it would just look bad. And with the wedding being planned for only a few months from now the last thing I needed was some sort of issue with Jamie. But the one thing I couldn't get my head around was the cost of the big white wedding my fiance dreamed of. Of course I had told her 'you can have anything you want, I want to make it special for you.' But fifty thousand dollars later and counting, I was getting a bit paranoid. I knew weddings could be expensive but over fifty-grand? That just seemed too much even for the magical experience I promised her. Shouldn't my love be enough? Why did it have to be all about the wedding in the first place?

When Jamie had gone over the guest list with me some nights ago, people were on that list I had never heard of before as well as some people I was sure were not even under the category of friends or family. I had spoken to Felicity on the subject a few times and she had seemed a bit concerned although I wasn't quite sure why. She had tried explaining it to me but I didn't understand what she meant. 'Maybe you need to keep an eye on her... 'she had said. But why would I need to? I trusted her more than anyone on the planet, well maybe not as much as Felicity but that was normal since we used to be so close...right?

Felicity returning had taken a toll on me although I didn't like to admit it. Seeing her face brought back that one stupid night where I ruined my friendship with Felicity. But what I never got the chance to tell her afterwards was that I was really in love with her and I had been for a couple years. But who in the right mind would want to ruin something so good? It wasn't everyday that you found a friend quite like Felicity. She had always been there and I didn't want to risk losing her, so I stayed silent. But as soon as the alcohol took over me system that one night, everything changed.

We had talked about it that next morning and I could remember it like it was only yesterday....

~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~

Waking up, I could feel a cool breeze on my bare leg. A bright light shined on my closed eyelids and I knew it was coming from the window next to the bed. My head was pounding and I felt a bit nauseous which was a reminder of the party I had thrown last night. Everyone who was anybody in my school had been there and it was a great night-I think. As my mind wandered I could barely recall what had happened last night. That's when I felt something shift next to me and I realized how warm I was. Opening my eyes, I glanced over to see her. Felicity Jacobs, my best friend in the entire world and the girl I have secretly been in love with for years was lying asleep next to me, her arm draped across my bare chest. That's when I realized the huge mistake I have made. I slept with my best friend....it was a drunk mistake I would never get to take back.

She was still asleep and that gave me the opportunity to love this moment with her cuddled up next to me underneath the thin sheet of my bed. The sun shining through the window covered her beautiful face in a thin covering, making her look brighter and gave her skin a golden tone. It wasn't going to last long and soon she would wake up and we would have to discuss what we have done. But for now, I could only gaze at her with my loving gaze and wish for the moment to never end.

But that's when it ended. Her eyes fluttered open and she suddenly looked mortified, her arm pulling away from me as she assessed the situation and her face paled.

"Doug....w-we shouldn't have."

Those words killed me more than I wanted to admit, it proved my worst fears, that she felt nothing for me and the pathetic, scared boy inside of me did the best thing he could think of. He agreed.

"I know..."

The next thing I knew she was standing, quickly finding her discarded clothes spread out across the room and slipping them on as fast as she could.

"You're leaving?" I had asked her. "Don't you think we should talk about this?" My voice had been desperate. I couldn't leave it like this, she couldn't leave it like this.

"Doug.." she said with a sigh "There is nothing to talk about. It's done, let's just ignore this ever happened and forget it okay?"

It never happened. I told myself and that was the last I saw her for a couple days. The next time I saw her in school we tried to ignore what we had done but it was hard. Things became awkward and then I remember one day she just didn't show up to school...I never saw her again and she left my phone calls and texts unanswered. When I stopped by her house her mother told me that she had left and wasn't sure where she had gone. I knew it was a lie but I couldn't push. I ruined things the way I was desperate not to and I couldn't go back.. Felicity Jacobs was no longer in my life, but I was still desperately in love with her.

----------------------•----------------------