Chapter 30: Impossible

"Who the fxxk are you?" Hoseok growled in a menacing tone, his hand grabbing the end of his katana to show how serious he could get if the other didn't quickly reveal their intentions.

The gentle smile plastered on Halmeoni's face faded away; instantly replaced by an evil smirk.

"Ooooh! So you found out already... seems like I underestimated you." The old woman's voice cooed.

Hoseok kept a stern face as an answer and greeted his teeth, glaring at his newly discovered enemy.

Indeed. This person wasn't Halmeoni.

That thing was the Gourmet. He was sure of it.

He only realized then, that he was standing dangerously close to his opponent; only a few meters away in distance.

And the appearance the ghost had chosen to lure him...It almost made him puke.

Halmeoni -not so- Halmeoni grinned even more widely and started approaching him.

Hoseok swiftly took out his katana from its sheath and directed the blade of his weapon between him and the Gourmet in order to maintain a safe distance.

"Yes...you are definitely better than expected." The Gourmet trailed off pensively, seemingly wanting to have a conversation with him; to which Hoseok responded with a murderous glare. 

He didn't want to have a talk with him. Like never.

He only wanted to retrieve safely his beloved Halmeoni...And then kick the Gourmet's ghostly ass for putting her in danger.

He didn't know how he had managed to look exactly the same as his grandmother; Minhyuk had explained him before the mission how the most powerful ghosts were sometimes strong enough to make themselves visible to humans and would often choose to show themselves under a specific appearance...though, he didn't know if their illusions could be tangible like the fake old woman standing in front of him.He knew nothing about the Gourmet and therefore, couldn't guess the extent of power he had. 

He only hoped that the real Halmeoni was doing just fine somewhere far away from here.

"Well, well, well. You got me all curious. How did you find out?" His enemy was showing a glimpse of excitement in his eyes as if the whole situation was entertaining for him.

How did I found out? ...He found out as soon as he had realized that...

"Hoseok-ah...Hoseok-ah..." He heard his name being called from afar; from somewhere dark inside of him. 

He slowly felt his head getting numb as if he was drowning, down, deep underwater. 

He could almost hear the sound of water drops falling. He tried orienting his mind toward the voice.

"Hoseok-ah! I've been calling you for ages...Why didn't you..." The voice got interrupted by a sudden shattering sound and Hoseok quickly got onto his knees to pick up the mess he had just made.

"I-I'm s-so sor-ry, Halmeoni. I won't do it again I promise." He said as he tried to grab the small pieces of glass that were scattered all over the ground of their kitchen. 

He only wanted to help her out by doing the dishes, but instead, he ended up causing a mess, like always.

Why am I...like this ..?

"Hoseok-ah, don't try to pick it up with your bare hands, you're gonna..."Halmeoni started and she soon got cut off in her words by a small whimper coming from the little boy.

"...See? I told you that you would hurt yourself. You have to be careful. It is important that you take care of yourself...I know it has been hard for you ever since you came here... And with your parents... (deep sigh)...People will come and leave you during your life, but the only one that will always remain by your side is yourself. You cannot abandon yourself, Sweetheart...Do you understand what I mean?"