Chapter 7: The Contract

Hoseok was in terrible suffering. There wasn't a centimetre of his body that didn't scream under the intensity of the pain he was experiencing. He felt the heat in his body slowly disappearing, like the fire of a candle that was growing ever so dimmer and dimmer by the second.

He felt snowflakes settling on his eyelashes like cotton. The fresh feeling calmed him down a bit. It was the first snow of the year, one of his favourite annual events, a gift from Mother Nature that he would always wait for anxiously as he enjoyed watching it. 

And yet, this time, he would still be able to watch it, but it would be the last time, as he was dying. 

How ironic.

So cold. He felt so terribly cold. Had he had enough strength left, his body would certainly have started convulsing under the cold breeze of the wind he felt penetrating through his skin.

It reminded him of a time, years ago, a time when he was still only a child around the age of six.

It happened on the first day of snow, exactly like this day. Halmeoni had brought him to the market place, but he felt lonely and bored as he watched her talking to the other ladies of the neighbourhood. He decided to go for a walk to the nearby park; he had planned to leave only for a few minutes and then come back, so his grandmother wouldn't even notice that he had left. 

However, things didn't go that way.

As he was walking around, holding tightly his favourite plush rabbit to which he was highly attached to and that would 'follow him' everywhere he would go like a second skin, he noticed a little child playfully chasing after the snowflakes. The petite boy seemed to find it so funny, so enjoyable, that the shy little Hoseok that he was back then, decided to bring his courage together and go ask if he could play along.

He approached carefully, squeezing his bunny as he tried to handle his anxiety. He wasn't used to engaging in conversation with others, especially strangers. The other boy automatically noticed his presence and stopped cheerfully running around, his eyes staring at him with a mix of apprehension and curiosity.

"H-Hello!"Hoseok started, but he ceased talking as soon as he saw the little boy jumping out, visibly agitated by his attention as he turned his back from him, ready to run away.

"W-Wait! Wait, please!" he called out. "I-I didn't want to scare you...I...I wanted to p-play with you," He stuttered. The other boy stopped in his action and turned to look back at him.

He stared at him for quite a moment before slowly starting to approach. He didn't say a word and kept staring at Hoseok; more precisely, he was staring intensely at his eyes to the point that Hoseok felt uncomfortable.

"Can I play with you?" He asked nervously to which the little boy simply nodded as a response.

They played for a while together and Hoseok still remembered this part as being one of his favourite moments from his childhood -at least, before Changkyun was brought to his life. He had wished for things to stay as it was, a cheerful memory...

But then, things started to get weird.

They got tired after a while of running around, especially Hoseok who, back then, had a weak constitution. Hoseok was curious about his new friend that he knew nothing about, so he started asking questions, but he would only obtain vague information and the little boy even refused to give him his name.

Hoseok tried to lighten up the mood by lending his bunny to the boy as he thought that sharing what he liked with his new friend would bring them closer. Instead, the boy stiffened and tried to move away. The bunny fell on the cold ground that was covered by a thin coat of snow. Hoseok truthfully got a little frustrated by the other's behaviour, but since he didn't want to scare off his new friend, he simply decided to let go of his feelings.