Chapter Three: The Truth...

Start from the beginning

"All right. Everyone stay behind me. It's my turn," I say as we begin walking.

The agents see us and start firing, but the rounds are deflected away. Everyone but Sarah ducks a little until they realize what's happening.

"Max," I shout. "You take the left and I'll take the right."

"You got it."

Still holding up the wall I wave my hand to the right as Max waves his to the left and the agents are thrown several yards to each side.

I hear Max laugh as we all get into the vehicle. Firing it up we hit the road sliding sideways and I floor it. Max leans up and pats me on the shoulder.

"Nice work Kyle."

Sarah turns to him, "Hey, this is what we do."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*** Somewhere on the road a few hours later ***

Sarah and I have switched positions so she's driving and the rest of us are asleep.  Glancing up in the mirror to check on everyone she notices a little girl leaning against Max holding an old rag doll. 

"What the?" Feeling the steering wheel jerk to the right the tires go off road and she quickly recovers and gets us back onto the road.  Waking up I see her breathing hard and looking in the rear view mirror. 

I quickly turn around expecting to see someone following us, and don't see anything.

"What's wrong?"

Her attention goes from me, to the mirror, and back to the road.  "Nothing, I, nothing.  I guess I just nodded off."

Watching her a few more minutes I notice she's still checking the mirror every few seconds.

"Why don't you pull over and let me drive."

"No, I'm okay.  We're almost there anyway.  Here's our turn."

She turns on an old road and stops at a rusty gate.  Reaching under the dash I hit a button, it begins to open, and we continue up the road.  Sarah's driving slowly and as the truck bounces around everyone wakes up.

"Where are we," Logan asks.

"Home, at least for the time being," I answer.

We continue on until several cabins come into view.  They're well hidden by the hills and tall trees that surround us.

As we step out of the SUV a man walks out to greet us.  "Kyle, Sarah, you had us worried."

"Yeah, we were a little worried too Maxwell, but we had some help."  He gives Sarah a hug and turns to our new friends. 

"Well, it's a pleasure to finally meet The Chosen Ones," They glance at one another as he continues. "Come on inside.  We have breakfast ready and waiting for you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*** Early Morning Fort Worth Texas ***

The sun shines down on Caitlin as she wakes up lying on the floor.  Slowly sitting up she holds her head, covers her eyes and after a moment gets up and sits on the bed.

"Did that really happen last night? Or was it just a dream; my mind playing tricks on me?"

Turning she looks at the corner where the dark figure stood.

"Maybe you really are going crazy," she whispers to herself.

Getting up she gathers her clothes, enters the bathroom, and is shocked. The mirror she's staring into is shattered.