-Chapter 23-

Mulai dari awal

            Mitch gives us all a can before sitting down beside me. Scott gets up to get us paper plate for the pizza as Eliza brings out the coasters from the drawer of the coffee table.

            “Neat freak?” Pat asks, smirking.

            Eliza rolls her eyes. “I just don’t want Scott’s mom yelling at him later if there are pop rings on the table.”

            Pat looks at us and places a hand over his heart. “Young love,” he sighs.

            Once everyone is settled and has their pizza we start the movie. It’s some action flick Mitch picked out last time after Eliza made us watch Frozen. The movie isn’t so bad. Pat enjoyed it, to a point where the whole week after watching the movie he was singing the songs at school and at baseball practice.

            “Maybe Alison can join us next time,” Eliza adds after the movie as we’re cleaning up.

            I have to get home so I can help my mom with the cake she’s making my dad since it’s his birthday. As I’m at Scott’s, my parents are having a nice lunch together and probably—knowing them—are spending quality time together.

            “Maybe,” I say, throwing out the pizza box. “Well, I have to go. My mom needs my help on making the cake.”

            “Why doesn’t she just buy one?” Scott asks.

            “Dad likes her baking, especially her cakes,” I answer.

            “Tell your dad we all wish him happy birthday,” Mitch says, jumping up and sitting on the counter.

            I nod. “Will do. I’ll see you guys Saturday?”

            “Yup,” Scott says.

            “Bye Nate!” Pat exclaims from the bathroom.

            My face morphs into disgust.

            “You have to say bye or he’ll complain next time you see him,” Mitch points out.

            I sigh. “Bye Pat!”

            “Goodbye!”

            And I’m out.

__________

            Dad comes down the stairs as Mom’s covering the cake with a top so Dad doesn’t see it until it’s time. The table is set for dinner and Mom made his favorite meal. I’m pouring the drinks when he wraps an arm around my shoulders.

            “Thank you both,” he says. “I really appreciate it.”

            “Of course Dad. We weren’t able to celebrate the last two years with you.”

            I can see Dad’s eyes filling up with tears. “I’m sorry I haven’t been home in a while. I feel horrible.”

            Mom sets the washcloth down and wraps her arms around us. “You’re here now. That’s all that matters.” Mom kisses his cheeks.

            Dad kisses the top of my head before kissing Mom full on the mouth. “I love you guys.”

            Mom smiles, wiping away her own tears. “And we love you.”

            We eat dinner before Mom takes out the cake. Dad is shocked Mom made him his favorite cake. He devours one piece in about five minutes.

            “Thank you,” he says, wiping his mouth with a napkin. “It was delicious.”

            “Oh, I have a gift for you honey,” Mom says, getting up from the table and walking upstairs.

            Dad turns to me and asks, “Do you know what it is?”

            I shrug. “No clue.”

            Mom comes back with a card in her hand. Dad takes it with a thank you. He opens the envelope and reads the card, his eyebrows knitting in confusion. As he flips the card open, his mouth opens.

            “Honey,” he says, looking up at Mom. “Is this true?”

            She nods, smiling happily. “Yes, it is.”

            Dad breaks out a smile before getting up and kissing Mom all over her face. Mom chuckling as he does.

            “I can’t believe it,” Dad says. “When?”

            “About four weeks.”

            “What is going on?” I ask.

            Mom and Dad turn to me.

            “Honey,” Mom says. “I’m pregnant.”