|31|

Later on that night, the majority of the group sat around the fire while Rick walked around the perimeter of the courtyard and Daryl stood on top of an overturned bus to keep watch. Carol made a bowl of food and handed it to Madison, quietly asking her to take it to Daryl. Madison agreed easily, heading over to the bus where Daryl was at. He watched her as she walked closer and then moved forward, holding out a hand to help her up.

"Carol made me bring you some food," she said, holding the bowl out to him.

"Yeah?" He smirked at her. "Sounds like ya want me to starve or somethin', woman."

She shrugged, smirking right back at him. "Maybe I do." Daryl chuckled quietly, shaking his head at her as he took the bowl and started to eat. "It's not much," Madison admitted. "But if I didn't bring you something, you wouldn't eat at all."

"Yeah, I guess little Shane over there has got quite the appetite."

Madison smacked him on the chest lightly. "Don't be mean." He rolled his eyes at her, continuing to eat his food in silence. Madison looked out over the outer courtyard, rolling her shoulders back in discomfort. "What's wrong?" Daryl asked her.

She glanced at him. "Nothing, just... tense, I guess. Winter's been hard on everyone."

He eyed her closely and set down his bowl. "C'mere." Madison's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, but she did as told. Daryl turned her around and placed his hands on her shoulders, beginning to massage them for her. "Jesus, woman. You are tense." She hummed in agreement, turning to look at him once he was finished. They were closer than she had anticipated, and by the look on Daryl's face, he hadn't anticipated it either. "Feel better?" He asked, clearing his throat as he stepped away from her. She nodded. "We should get back."

The brunette shrugged, then looked up at the starry night sky. "You sure?" She asked with a smirk. "It's pretty romantic. Wanna screw around?" Daryl scoffed at her. "What? Am I not attractive enough for you?" She teased.

Daryl's cheeks burned, and he avoided her gaze. "Quit jokin' around." There was no way Daryl could ever tell her that she was the best-looking woman he had ever seen in his life. Even with dirt and blood smeared on her flawless skin, even with her dark waves of hair frizzy from all the humidity, Madison was still breathtaking to him.

Madison's smirk fell, studying his expression before he turned away and slid off the bus. She did the same, accepting the hand he held out to help her as she asked, "Who said I was joking?"

He froze, instantly letting go of her hand as if she had burned him. "Mads," he said quietly. "This ain't nothin' to joke about."

She looked up at him in all seriousness. "Like I said," she repeated just as quietly. "Who said I was joking?"

Daryl was tempted to kiss her. He really was, and for a long moment he really thought about doing it. But then Beth was calling out for her sister to come join them at the fire, and Madison looked over toward the group in the distance, and the moment was lost. He followed her back to the others, watching as Madison walked around the fire to sit between Beth and Hershel. "Daddy wants me to sing, but I said not unless you joined me," Beth informed her.

"I'm not really in the singing kind of mood, Beth," Madison said apologetically.

"Please, Madi-girl," Hershel pleaded softly. "I haven't heard you sing a peep in years."

Sighing deeply, Madison gave in. "What song is he asking for?" She asked Beth, causing Hershel to grin to himself, knowing he won.

"The Parting Glass."

"Alright, fine. You start us off."

Everyone went silent, settling in as they prepared themselves to listen to the Greene sisters sing. Daryl watched Madison curiously, not knowing that she was able to sing. Although, now that he took a second to think about, he was willing to bet Hershel had put all of his girls into the choir at their church when they were growing up.