|30|

The winter was harsh, and unforgiving. They were never able to stay in one place for more than a night or two, constantly on the run in an attempt to avoid the herd of walkers still in the area. After the first week or so, they came up with a routine. Whenever they found a potential place to stay at for the night, Rick, T-dog, Madison, Daryl, Glenn, Maggie and Carl would clear the area while Hershel stayed outside with Lori, Beth and Carol. It had taken quite a bit for Lori to relent and allow Carl to go along with the others, but the boy was growing, and he had grown accustomed to the ways of the world now. He wanted to learn how to protect himself, defend others, and help the group. So eventually, Lori gave in.

At the present moment in time, they were currently clearing a house the group had came across in their travels. Madison struck down a walker to her left as soon as she entered the house, Carl trailing right behind her. It had been decided— by Lori—that whenever they went off to clear an area, Carl had to take orders from either Rick or Madison, whichever one he was near. It was the only way she could find any peace of mind about her boy's safety.

Gesturing toward the kitchen, Madison gave Carl a pointed look as she approached a closet. He nodded and moved into the room cautiously, looking for any walkers while Madison opened the closet door to check it out. The closet was larger than it appeared, and there was a door at the end of it. Clutching her hunting knife tightly, Madison quietly moved toward the door and braced herself before swinging it open.

She was met with the sight of Daryl, the tip of his arrow pointed right between her eyes. For a moment she froze as they looked at each other, but then he relaxed once he realized it was her. The two of them laughed quietly together, before heading in opposite directions to clear the rest of the house. 

Madison retraced her steps back to Carl, who had found another door attached to the kitchen. He looked at her for permission, only opening the door once Madison nodded. She followed him into the room, seeing one walker inside. Carl was quick to shoot it, the makeshift silencer on his gun keeping the shot quiet.

Moving back out in the kitchen, they saw Rick enter it as well. Madison nodded to him, a signal that said everything was clear where they had looked. Maggie and Glenn came in the back door, nodding to Rick as well, once they had finished checking the perimeter.

Once everyone reconvened back downstairs and it was decided that the house was safe for the time-being, Rick opened the front door and whistled. Carol and Beth were the first to enter, each carrying some of the group's belongings. Beth handed Madison her duffel bag as a heavily-pregnant Lori entered the house, carrying the things that belonged to herself, Rick and Carl. Hershel was the last to enter, his face unshaven and shoulders slumped in exhaustion.

The group all gathered together in the living room, silence in the air. Madison sat next to Daryl, fixing the beanie on her head that she'd scavenged, while he plucked the feathers off of the owl he'd just killed. Carl sat down next to Beth, opening up a can of dog food for them to share, but he hadn't even had a chance to take a bite before Rick was yanking it out of his hands and throwing it at the wall angrily. Everyone looked at him, and Madison bit her tongue to keep from saying something. She knew it had to bother Rick that his son had to resort to eating dog food now, but it was better than nothing. Better than starving.

"Psst," T-dog said suddenly, seeing a bunch of walkers outside the window.

Simultaneously, everyone gathered their things together once again and took off, running out the back door. Madison tossed hers and Daryl's things into the back of her father's vehicle. Daryl was already on the motorcycle waiting for her, and she quickly jumped on as he peeled off before walkers could get too close. The others followed behind them.