|23|

The room was silent, except for the soft humming provided by Madison as she sat on the bed beside her baby sister and braided a section of her hair. Beth still remained in her catatonic state, and she was still unable to get any sedatives; Rick and Glenn still hadn't returned with her father, and Madison was starting to worry. The anxiety was eating at her, so badly that she couldn't even stomach the thought of food— when Carol sought her out to tell her dinner was almost ready, she'd told the woman she wasn't hungry. While the others were all gathering downstairs to eat, Madison stayed with Beth. She didn't want her to be alone.

Her humming stopped as the door suddenly opened, and she looked over to see Maggie, who looked worried. "Lori's not in here?"

"No," Madison answered slowly, confused as to why she would think that. "Isn't she downstairs with Carl?"

"No. Carl hasn't seen her since this afternoon."

Instantly, Madison dropped the half-finished braid she'd been putting in a lock of Beth's hair and climbed out of the bed. "Will you stay with her?" She asked Maggie, causing the younger Greene to nod while Madison grabbed her things and rushed out of the room.

Running outside to help look, she slowed to a stop when she saw Andrea standing with Dale and Carl. "Anyone find her?"

Andrea shook her head as Shane walked up. "She's not at the barn."

"I checked the yards," T-Dog said as he walked up to them as well.

Carl looked between them all with wide, worried eyes. "Where is she?"

"She asked Daryl to go into town after Madison tried to get him to," Carol said breathlessly as she ran up to them. "Must've gone herself." Instantly, Carl fought back his tears and ran off. Andrea exchanged a glance with Shane before rushing after him to make sure he was alright.

"Did you know about this?" Shane asked Dale, who shook his head honestly, although Shane clearly didn't believe him. "Look, just— did she take a gun?"

"I don't know. I wouldn't let her go out there alone," Dale pointed out when Shane shot him a look of disbelief. He was given no response as the ex-cop turned and rushed over to his vehicle, jumping in and taking off. They all watched him drive away worriedly, wondering if anyone would be returning to the farm or if Lori had just unintentionally added two more names to the missing-persons list that seemed to be growing.

About forty minutes later, they had their answer. Shane returned back to the farm with Lori in tow, the latter of the two sporting a new wound on her temple from an apparent car accident. Madison attempted to take a look at it, but Lori brushed her off. "Where's Rick?" She asked instead, more worried about the whereabouts of her husband.

Madison looked at her in confusion. "He's not back yet."

Lori stared at her, the younger brunette's word sinking in. "They're not back?" She turned to Shane then, and accusatory look in her eyes. "Where are they?"

"Look, I had to get you back here," Shane said, attempting to defend himself. Madison realized he must have lied to Lori to get her to come back to the farm. He didn't care if Rick returned, and he cared even less about the return of her father and Glenn.

"You asshole. He's my husband!" Lori shouted, lunging at him.

Shane grabbed her arms and held her back. "Lori, I will go after him! I will find him!" He insisted. "Now, look—  first things first, I gotta... I gotta look after you. I gotta make sure the baby's alright. Okay?"

"You're having a baby?" Carl asked, everyone turning to look at the boy. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Silence. Lori didn't know how to respond, for that hadn't been how she had planned on Carl finding out. She just stared at her son, trying to find the words to say but coming up short. It was Dale who finally spoke, reaching out for her as he said, "Come on. Let's make sure you're okay."