|4|

Madison was quiet for most of the ride, along with T-dog, who sat in annoyed silence as Daryl grumbled obscenities under his breath and made comments about T-dog and the others for leaving Merle behind. For a long time Madison simply ignored his words, understanding why he was so upset and knowing it wasn't an easy thing to get over. But the fact remained that the others had had a logical reason for handcuffing Merle to begin with— he had put their lives at risk— and the longer Daryl complained, the more patience Madison began to lose with him.

"Man, this is some bullshit," Daryl grumbled with a scoff. "Leavin' my brother handcuffed to a fuckin' roof. You're a real shit cop, y'know that, Rick Grimes?" Rick ignored him. "Hey, are ya deaf or somethin'? I'm fuckin' talkin' to ya!"

"Okay, you know what?" Madison finally snapped. "That is enough, Daryl."

His head snapped to the side, surprised that Madison had been the first one to say something to him. "No it ain't," he argued. "These assholes left my brother for dead. It's their fault he's chained to that roof!"

She pursed her lips. "If we're gonna play the blame game here, then something should be said about Merle's violent temperament and his lack of common sense," Madison told him bluntly, staring him straight in the eye. T-dog shifted uncomfortably at the argument he figured was about to happen. "Either way, these 'assholes' are trying to make shit right and we're all here to help you get Merle out of there. So please, just do us all a favor and quit talking shit."

Daryl opened his mouth to say something, then shut it and rethought his words, trying to figure out what to say to that. In the end he just scoffed and turned away from Madison. "Quit botherin' me, woman," he muttered before they all fell into a long silence. It wasn't until they'd finally reached the city limits that the silence was broken, once again by Daryl. "He better be okay. That's my only word on the matter."

T-dog huffed. "I told you the geeks couldn't get at him," he finally spoke up. "The only thing that's gonna get through that door is us." The vehicle rolled to a stop them, and Daryl opened the hatch before jumping down. Madison jumped down after him, followed by T-dog, as Rick and Glenn climbed out of the front.

Together, the five of them jogged down the railroad tracks until they reached the hole in the fence that they always used whenever they went on runs for supplies. "Merle first, or guns?" Rick asked Glenn.

"Merle!" Daryl snapped. "We ain't even havin' this conversation."

"We are," Rick said firmly. He turned back to Glenn. "You know the geography; it's your call."

Glenn considered it. "Merle's closest. The guns would mean doubling back. Merle first."

Daryl shot Rick a smug look as they followed Glenn to the store they'd left Merle at. Rick entered first with his gun raised, followed by Madison. She was nudged forward by Daryl, who followed closely behind her as she gripped onto her hunting knives. The group spread out to make sure the area was clear, when all of a sudden Rick stopped and pointed out a walker. "I got it," Daryl told Madison when she started to aim one of her knives in preparation to throw it at its head. He lifted his crossbow and shot an arrow straight through the walker's skull, stalking forward to retrieve the arrow once the body slumped to the ground. "Damn. You were one ugly skank," he commented to the walker's body, kicking it slightly.

"You make it a habit to talk to 'em?" Madison asked dryly as she side-stepped him and followed the others. He made a face at her and followed as well.

T-dog cut through the padlock he'd put on the door to the roof, and Daryl shoved past him and kicked it open. He rushed out onto the roof as the rest of them trailed behind him a bit slower. "Merle! Merle!" He shouted as he searched the roof. His only answer was silence, and Madison pushed past T-dog and Glenn to see what was going on when Daryl suddenly gasped. "No! No!" Her eyes widened at the sight of Merle Dixon's hand lying in a puddle of blood, the handcuffs still attached to the roof, but the man nowhere to be seen. "No! No!"