Chapter 15 Evidence

Non-Malay canteen. Recess was still ongoing.

Matthias was already seated with other Chinese boys from his class, eating quietly, when Xue Ge sat next to him.

"you'd better hurry. i'm already halfway finished," Matthias said.

Xue Ge just grunted.

He's speaking less because he's in a hurry? Matthias thought, How pragmatic. i wish i was allowed to speak less when i didn't feel like it. "can you at least tell me what you were doing."

Matt waited for a response, but none came.

That's odd. Did he actually answer me but i just zoned out again? "Xue Ge, i'm sorry but i didn't hear..."

"Please, Matt. My mood bad now."

Not in the mood to talk? "no problem. i won't force you to talk," Matt said.

Xue Ge gives me a hug when i'm in a bad mood right? So Matt gave Xue Ge a hug, which Xue Ge seemed pretty reluctant to accept.

Did i just mess up again? Maybe i need to take stock of the situation better. So Matt examined Xue Ge more carefully. Xue Ge's facial expression...

Well, he already told me he's in a bad mood. Wasn't in a bad mood before recess. So whatever soured his mood must have just happened.

He received a message just before recess. His face right after receiving that message... Matthias mentally recalled the exercises he did in recognising facial expressions. No, too vague. Who messaged him? Well, i did see Jennifer fiddling on her phone around then. Very unusual for her to do that in class, especially since she could wait just a few minutes for recess. So she had to do something on the phone before recess started. Like send a message to Xue Ge to meet up with him.

When Jennifer walked to the girls' tables with her food, Matthias was now certain. THAT face i recognise. Definitely unhappy, or variations there-off. So my two best friends made each other unhappy during recess.

"you don't need to talk. just nod or shake your head," Matt said to Xue Ge, "did you ask her out for a date."

Xue Ge choked on his food. All the boys at the table hollered. Jennifer and all the girls in the other table looked up.

"Matt! You want me to die is it?" Xue Ge exclaimed.

Chee Yok leaned in. "Oi, oi, oi! Xue Ge! Don't cheat okay? Wait until Valentine's day like everyone else."

"I didn't say anything to her," Xue Ge responded, "Matt, don't talk to me anything. Awhile only. Please?"

"okay. i'm sorry."

But if he didn't say anything to her, then Jennifer must have done something to him. He doesn't look physically harmed other than where i had... So probably verbal. Matt got up from his seat and walked over to Jennifer. How does Jennifer say it? "Matthias... i mean Jennifer if you've hurt someone's feelings you should apologise. you can figure out why later."

Oh dear. That's Jennifer's I-want-to-slap-you face. What did else did she used to say? Matt repeated it to Jenn, saying, "give it some thought when you've calmed down."

When Matt sat back next to Xue Ge, he had his face in his hands.

He must be really feeling upset. i should comfort him in an appropriate manner. Matt patted Xue Ge on his back. "it's okay. i'm here for you."

Xue Ge just moaned aloud.

In review: i think i did a good job in being considerate and helpful. i should reward myself. Maybe an ice-cream. i'll even get one for each of them.