Heartbeat

The summer air was filled briskly with scents from the river, and the flowers that were sprouting at their fullest. Crickets chirped musically through the woods, and owls hooted in response. The bonfire was filled with indistinct chatter, and laughter was swirling around the air. It was during gatherings like this that filled the space around them with so much noise. Despite everyone already spending time with one another on the daily, bonfires let the single alphas and omegas chatter without interrupting their chores. The shadowed surrounding, where the fire still offered heat, was filled with couples. All of them flirting, confessing and getting to know each other more within the confines of the darkness.

Namjoon was refilling his cup when a female omega approached him bravely. He recognized her as the daughter of one of his fathers close friends. It didn't come as a surprise when she began seeking his attention all of a sudden. He tried to ignore the fluttering of her eyelashes, and held his breath when her too watery scent flushed around him. He always spared her a few minutes before excusing himself with the purpose of hunting or other chores. Now, well he couldn't quite make up an excuse, it would sound rather silly if he said he needed to go fishing.

"I was looking for you." her tone was soft, like an omegas voice should be. Yet it was tainted with purpose. Her voice pitched too high and her eyes were looking at him as if he was a prize waiting to be claimed.

Namjoon took a sip of his punch, nodding slightly as he tried to rack his brain with a new excuse to use. His eyes wandered around, trying to look for an escape but none of his friends were around and his own parents were laughing with their group of friends. The annoyance in his veins was beginning to get to him, and he could feel his wolf beginning to growl in rejection of the girl before him. She looked a little expectant, her eyes waiting to see some sort of reaction that could indicate an opening. But Namjoon couldn't really bring himself to say something nice, he didn't want to open a possibility for her to think he wanted her near.

"What's taking so long?" A soft voice interrupted his mental scattering for words.

Namjoon couldn't say anything, watching as Jin approached him and took the cup from his hand. To say he was shocked was an understatement, Namjoon was completely surprised by the sudden presence he least expected. The omega in front of him gaped at them, her eyes wide and wanting to understand what was happening. He coughed softly, and turned to Jin who was eyeing the other omega. His gaze was strong, and with a nod of his head he dismissed the girl. She didn't think twice before turning on her heels and disappearing through the crowd with a huff.

A small chuckle left his lips as he saw her disappear rather quickly. Namjoon took back his cup, his heart beginning to beat suddenly. He knew Jin was probably helping him out of an awkward situation, yet his wolf yipped happily. It was mistaking Jin's help as him marking his territory. The slight  possessiveness in his eyes when he dismissed the girl was making Namjoon's heart race unmistakably. He wasn't sure why, if the two haven't even tried having a docile conversation. For some reason it confused him and his wolf entirely.

"Shouldn't I be getting thanked by now?" Jin crosses his arms over his chest with a small smirk.

Namjoon snaps out of his daze and clears his throat, "Right, thank you. Even though I didn't need your help."

"Right. If I didn't interrupt, you would have agreed to go on a walk with her tomorrow morning. I heard she likes taking alphas through the woods where she experiments with her tongue." Jin laughs teasingly as he steps to the table and pours himself a drink.

"How would you know?"

"Omegas like to gossip, it's not strange to hear such things when we gather in our rooms."

Namjoon raises an eyebrow, making Jin shrug his shoulders. The two stay side by side, watching the pack members around them. There wasn't much the two could say now. It would be rather awkward for them to start a random conversation, and Namjoon didn't quite know what to say. Jin was no different, all he could think about was how the rooms that night would whisper about him shooing away an omega from the new pack alpha. The omega focused on finishing his punch, and then turning to set it inside a bucket where other used cups were placed. He was already stepping away when he felt warm fingers closing on his wrist.

"Are you heading home?" Namjoon asks, his eyes looking around. He started noticing the looks from older couples, all of them beginning to watch the two of them interact.

"Why?"

"I'll accompany you, it's dark."

Jin doesn't say much, he pulls his hand away from Namjoon's hold and nods. He doesn't wait further and turns to walk along the table set with food. He could sense Namjoon following behind him, so he didn't turn to check. He did however check the pack, swallowing when he saw other omegas pointing fingers at him. He was really not looking forward to the omega den. It will be full of gossip, especially now that the pack alphas son was following him away from the gathering.

Namjoon fell into step with him when they were away from the fire. The chattering got quieter, and he could hear the rustling in the wood from the creature's roaming the night. The two were silent, their eyes looking forward and their hands bumping shyly from the proximity between the two. Namjoon tried not to, but he glanced slightly at the omega. Even at night, the subtle glow from the moon above them was enough to light his delicate features. His skin was dewy, probably from the heat in the air and his scent was strong. The last of the summer breeze would occasionally swirl their scents together in hues.

Jin was trying not to breathe too deep. The scent of fresh cut cedar and a splash of spring water was making his head spin. Namjoon wasn't any different, he was drowning in the sweetness emitting from the omega. It reminded him of the hydrangeas that bloomed in the rainy season. His wolf was satisfied that their scents fit so well together. Namjoon could feel his heartbeat ring in his ears as the two continued walking. The omega cabin was coming into view, and suddenly he started feeling disappointed. He didn't want to part ways too soon.

"You should probably head back, I'm sure your parents are going to be looking for you."

Namjoon looks up, watching as he walks ahead of him to the porch. The omega stops in front of the door, turning back to give the alpha a soft smile. He too could feel the pounding of his heart in his chest. Without waiting for a response or a reaction, he opened the door and stepped inside. Namjoon stood still for a few seconds before turning back. He found himself walking home rather than back to the bonfire, trying to process exactly what was happening to him.