Chapter 6 ― Even I Can Be Selfish

***80 VOTES FOR CHAPTER 7***

Hey hey! So sorry for taking so much time with this update!  It was like night after night, I just didn't have the time -.- But thank you all soo much for the 90+ votes! That's insane! :D Anyways, today was just a really bad day all over so I'm not going to say more.

I hope you enjoy :)

_________________________________

CHAPTER 6

EVEN I CAN BE SELFISH

I sat in Jack’s office and watched him work. It was around 2am and neither of us could sleep so I made my way upstairs and joined him in silence. We had an odd friendship you could say. I simply sat there in his company, no talking, and I felt like we were getting closer. Since he crawled into bed with me two weeks ago, I had been doing this with him. We could spend a whole night at his desk until the others start to arrive.

The reason I couldn’t sleep tonight was different from all the others night. I felt selfish. I felt like a horrible person. In my dream, I could see the ball room at Leonardo where the trading party – a night were human traffickers bring their girls and trade with other human traffickers - was taking place. I was there, next to the door to the balcony, looking at the broken and raped girl’s faces. I wasn’t like them. They had friends and families to protect by staying here. If they were to escape, their love ones would be killed. I was lucky enough to have no one back home I would like to keep alive – that’s in they could have gotten ridden of Jared for me, I wouldn’t have cared.

Things were pretty calm as the men spoke and the girls curled up in ball and cried. Suddenly, a blond girl had a break down and I could see pain in her face. Such sadness and willingness to be dead. I felt sorry for her for a second before I used her as a distraction and climbed out to the balcony and made my escape by throwing myself down – hurting my ankle in the process –  being chased by men with guns and seeing he TARDIS magically appear in front of me, saving me from this Hell. Since then, I have been forever grateful to the Doctor.

But what was making me miserable wasn’t the thought of the night I met the Doctor. No, that was happy. The second I broke free, I was overcome with joy even if I didn’t trust the man right away.

What was keeping me awake was the look on the blond girl’s face. The look on all of their faces and how I so willingly left them behind, not bothering to grab the arm of a girl not far from me to take her with me. I left them all to their miserable lives while I travelled the stars. And that made me unbelievably selfish. I was with the Doctor in a TARDIS for more than a year. A TARDIS! At anytime, I could have gone back and saved the girls rather easily. And yet it never crossed my mind until today now that it’s too late and I don’t have a TARDIS at my disposal anymore.

I took a moment to think who the real monster was. The man selling girls and using them as objects or the girl capable of saving them all and did nothing.

That’s why that night, sitting in Jack’s office, I wanted to know if there was something to do, if it was possible to fix my mistake. But for that, I had to tell him my past.

“Jack?” I finally forced myself to do the first move.

He looked up at me from his papers.

“Yes?”

“I have something to ask. But it won’t make since until I tell you about something first and… it’s going to be difficult for me to tell you.”

He frowned for a second trying to guess at what I was getting at, but he seemed clueless. So I told him. I started at 16 years old and ended it at now how I felt guilty. It was easier for me to say it now when it’s been years from now then when I told the Doctor. I didn’t share as much with Jack than I did with the Time Lord though, only the essential things. Being sold, being Leonardo’s pet, escaping at the party and being saved by the Doctor. Not once did I shed a tear.

Once I was done, there was a long silence as he looked at me apologetically. My voice did shake a little and I guess when someone tells you they used to be a sex slave, they don’t take it as if you told them you stumped your toe.

He cleared his throat and leaned back in his chair.

“I’m sorry,” he said sincerely.

“It’s not your fault,” I gave him a weak smile.

“So, what was the thing you wanted to ask?”

“I want to save the other girls. I ran off that night and forgot about them. I was selfish and I want to make is right by saving them. I want to know if Torchwood could help me with that, because I know I couldn’t do it on my own.”

“You know Torchwood works with situations involving aliens, AJ. Human trafficking as nothing to do with us,” he replied.

“I know, Jack. But could it really hurt to take a break from aliens stuff and save those poor girls in a way the police could never do?” I said, a hint of pleading in my voice.

He looked at me intensely thinking the whole thing over. While he did that, I unconsciously started to compare him to the Doctor. They weren’t very alike. The Doctor was childish and a little irresponsible, but he missed an opportunity to do some good. Jack calculated everything and was so mature. If he didn’t think it was worth his time, he ignored it, but he was a great leader and was very dedicated to his job. They both had bad things and good thing about their personality. But somehow, I so easily loved the bad things about the Doctor anyways.

Jack finally sighed deeply and nodded to himself.

“The others may not be up for it... but, I’m willing to help you, AJ.”

I smiled widely to him and jumped from my seat to go around the desk and hug him tightly in my arm, thanking him a million times. I was confused for a second and I ever surprised myself, but he hugged me back and smiled.

***80 VOTES FOR CHAPTER 7***