Chapter 3 ― My Last Adventure

***UPDATE ON THE 7TH OF MARCH***

Hey hey! So happy I go the votes so fast! I was actually going to post at 60, but then I didn't get the time and reached 70 anyways XD Anyways. the reason there won't be another chapter until at least the 7th of March is because I'm going to be out of town visiting my boyfriend's parents with him ^^ I'm going to be giving out resumais to work there this summer to raise money to get an apartment with my bf next year :D So yeah, sorry about not updating but I do have priorities :/

Anyways, I hope you like this chapter as much as the last two! Warning: you may cry :(

__________________________________________________________________

 CHAPTER 3

MY LAST ADVENTURE

The Doctor isn’t sure what to say, opening and closing his mouth, searching his mind desperately. He looks over at Jack and then back to me. I’m hiding my face in my hands and trying to calm myself a little.

“AJ, please… I didn’t say it was forever. Just a little while. And I think just you need some time. Calm down,” he insisted.

But I’m finding it hard to believe that he’ll ever come back. I feel as if he is completely abandoning me with no intention of returning. I know how lonely and sad he is, why would he choose to travel alone himself?

I take long deep breathes.

“Doctor?” Jack asked again.

“What’s the situation?” he said, leaving my side.

“Do Relophijulousicarhii ring a bell?” he asked. “Two of them have been spotted about a mile from here and there’s probably more.”

“How did they get here? Their civilisation hasn’t mastered space travel yet,” the Doctor frowned.

“Don’t know. We’re heading out to take a look. Are you coming?”

“Of course,” he nodded. He looked over to me. “AJ, you stay here. Don’t try anything stupid,” he warned.

“No, I’m going,” I said, jumping up.

“I rather you don’t. Relophijulousicarhiis are very dangerous creatures. They are very primitive and attack anything that moves. I wouldn’t want you getting hurt,” he said.

“If it’s going to be my last adventure with you for a while – if not forever - , I’m going,” I said firmly.

He sighed heavily. This wasn’t pleasing him at all, but my mind was made up. If he was leaving me here, then I was going to be angry about it. Not sad.

“DOCTOR!” I yelled in a panic as I was running along a long hallway. A savage Relophijulousicarhii was running after me, growling loudly.

No one was in sight, I had lost the others a moment ago when the Doctor sent me in another direction thinking it would keep me safe. Fat load of good that did. Tears were starting to fall down my cheek. I had no defence against this 7 foot tall fur covered creature.

I turned left at the end of the hallways to find a dead end. I started hitting the wall in anger. This was it, I was sure of it. I fell to the ground and rolled up in a small ball in the only hope of my death being quick and painless.

Suddenly, I heard a loud gunshot sound and the Relophijulousicarhii collapsed to the floor in front of me, dead. I looked up to see Captain Jack Harkness holding a gun just a few meters away from me. He lowered the gun and put it away before running over to me, kneeling down.

“Are you ok?” he asked with general concern.

I nodded and he helped me get up.

“Thank you… for saving my life,” I said.

“Don’t mention it,” he smiled. “We gotta get out of here. Now.”

And with that, he took my hand and started to pulling me into the hallway I should have turned in earlier. A few twist and turns later, we reached a latter with which we came into this underground building. I ran up as quickly as possible, Jack right behind me. He told me that place was about to be filled with a toxic gas. I thought to myself that didn’t sound like something the Doctor would do and I was right. Torchwood freed the gas when the Yulifre – the aliens using the Relophijulousicarhiis as pets – had become unstoppable and it was the only resolution.

Back in the sunlight, the Doctor and the rest of the team were waiting. At the sight of me, the Doctor ran over and hugged me real quick before planning his hands on my shoulders and inspecting me for any injuries.

“I’m fine,” I said.

“Brought her back in one piece,” Jack added.

“Well, good then,” the Doctor nodded and sighed in relief. If I was hurt, it would technically be his fault for sending me off on my own in another direction.

We got into the large black jeep – a little tightly considering the number, we were in all Jack, the Doctor, the Asian called Tosh, a man called Owen, a woman called Gwen and me. Moments later, we reached Torchwood and it started pouring. But Jack, the Doctor and I stayed outside.

I realized this was goodbye and I was suddenly hit in the chest with a terrible feeling. Jack has stepped back to give us a little privacy and all I could do was wrap my arms around the Doctor and hold him tight. I wasn’t mad anymore. I was… accepting? Who was I to force him to travel with someone he didn’t want to travel with? He just… didn’t want me anymore. I thought of all the times I was a coward and ran away from danger when he charged into it.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t good enough of a companion,” I managed to said soft, my throat was tight with emotion.

“Don’t you ever think you were a bad companion,” he protested, placing his hands on my shoulders and looking me in the eyes.

“But you’re getting rid of me,” I replied.

His eyes looked so sad and desperate to make me understand, but that is what I was understanding at the time.

“I am not getting rid of you, AJ! I’m freeing you. I want you to stay here and live a life as normal as you can and forget about me. Or at least make me a happy memory, but move on. You can’t spend your life holding on to one thing. Something you might never get.”

His last words were the ones I really grasped the meaning. I was holding onto him so badly, but now he has basically told me that I was never going to be with him… that he didn’t love me. I took a step back and tried hard to contain my tears.

“I get it. You can leave now,” I said a little more harshly than I would have liked.

“AJ,” he pleaded for me to not be mad.

“Goodbye, Doctor,” I said and walked into Torchwood.

But I have to admit that I looked back for just a moment before the door closed.

***UPDATE ON THE 7TH OF MARCH***