Rules Part 2

Its three days till the Hawaii vacation and I found myself standing in front of PD-Nim's office door.

With the shredded contract placed inside its foul looking envelope, tucked under my arm, I sighed deeply and entered his office.

You are nobodies' robot, Laine. They might do things differently in Korea, but not where you're from.

I gave myself a stern pep-talk. I decided I was going to tell PD-Nim I'm not signing his stupid contract. I knew I could potentially lose everything, but my stubbornness refused my signature on that contract.

I hesitated a moment. PD-Nim was busy on his laptop. He hasn't acknowledged my presence yet.

I cleared my throat and bowed when he looked up.

"Ah, Laine!" He smiled and stood up. He motioned with his hand for me to sit. "I've been expecting you. I've been worried when I haven't heard from you in days."

I mentally prepared myself. This is it.

"Apologies for the delay, sir. But I took my time to read the contract carefully, and I decided I am not going to sign it." I tried to say it as calm, but firmly as possible.

PD-Nim's face faltered "Is there something wrong with it? Any parts that you are unhappy with?" A hint of concern flickered across his face.

I placed the envelope on my lap, and folded my arms.

"Yes, sir. Well...I have a problem with all of it." I said softly. Voice please don't betray me now.

"Go on."

"You see, sir. In many ways I have been a trainee myself. I worked very hard from a young age to prove myself and my abilities; I even left home, and found a new one. I work endlessly to provide nothing short of the best for all our clients. I wanted to further prove myself, and take on a personal client of my own, which as we both know is your amazing company, sir" I paused, tugging at the sleeve of my button up shirt "I initially suggested the personal approach, because the members and I are of similar ages. I wanted to connect with them, so that their appearances will be well received by their fans and peers. So that they could be more relatable." I looked up at him.

He waited.

I took a deep breath. "I have come to know them more and more every day. We have become friends, and yes, I would like to be around them socially. I don't have any friends, since I am always working, much like them. I know the pressures and I know the struggles."

"I appreciate the sentiment, Laine, but you cannot possibly know what it feels like to be an idol. So, you can't really make that assumption."

I shook my head. "No sir, I don't know what it feels like to be an idol, but I do know what it takes. I do understand hard work and dedication. I might not be an idol, but I am caught up in all the fast paced movements of it all."

He looked at me, lips pressed together in a thin line.

I didn't wait for him to respond.

"My point that I am trying to get across, sir, is that I don't need a contract to know that I should handle the private life of the members and that of my own discreetly."

He nodded.

"What makes you so sure about that, Laine?"

"Because, sir, I have worked much too hard to be where I am today. I won't jeopardize it for anybody, or anything. Not even BTS." I said matter-of-factly.