Prologue

Four-Years-Ago

"That's a wrap!"

Sighing in relief as the director gave the two bloodied and bruised actors a last once-over; not realizing my breath was held the entirety of the scene. I wiped my forehead with the back of my hand, feeling perspiration droplets forming once more to replace those vanished mere seconds ago.

"Good job, Laine! It's always nothing short of perfection when you're on set." The director winked at me, making my lips twitch, forming a triumphant smile on my face.

This had not been the first compliment paid to me, but always resonated well in my soul, thinking back on it.

Quickly learning that being a rookie in the makeup industry is not for the faint of heart; as a nineteen-year-old post graduate, I tirelessly interned for one of the most sought after companies on film sets and photoshoots – sometimes for up to twenty hours a day. It was long hours no doubt, but makeup was my passion, especially high-end glam concepts, as well as film and set work. This was perfect working conditions for me, not being one who adhered to generalized beauty standards, nor harbored a fondness for corporate offices.

Self-expression has always been an integral part of my core. Not someone to show emotions easily, I lived vicariously through my creativity - from my talents right down to the fashion I paraded.

My dedication to the arts did not go unnoticed, managing to complete my internship in a mere four months, an impressive record in the industry. My manager noticed film crews and individuals were requesting, sometimes demanding to place me on projects specifically – causing me to eventually being promoted to a senior stylist role.

The company could no longer ignore the fact that excellent services were being delivered by me when the wife of a South Korean Ambassador requested me personally as her makeup artist during their official business trip. This was to be my first privatized job, my manager having unrequited trust in my abilities, knowing I would represent the company in the best way I possibly could.

The contract with Kim Min Lee was set to last for six months. Being the wife on an Ambassador, she was set to attend many formal state dinners, charity events, and several important conferences. Dumbfounded at the time, confused as to why the underdog would be chosen for such an important client, but welcoming it regardless – I was not about to question huge income potential.

This fast evolving trade had its downfalls, too. Not having friends, being on the constant move between locations, albeit not internationally – I came to know loneliness first hand. Jealousy; fake people; extreme competitiveness were synonyms for this industry.

In all honesty, being too busy to realize my social deprivation, it came as a pleasant surprise when Min Lee and I became close friends. This not being normal business practice, but then again it wasn't so normal to begin with, spending almost every waking moment in her presence - making it somewhat impossible not to have some sort of relation with one another.

In my eyes, making someone look perfect all the time was kind of personal.