Chapter 11: Date night

"Excuse my brother, he may or may not be pure evil." The couple was standing outside El Mexicano Paridiso, the restaurant where Virgil had gotten them a reservation at.

 Alice was in a paint splattered patterned shirt and light blue pants, while Gordon was wearing a slightly less attrocious than usual Hawaiian shirt, blue jean shorts, and a brown suit coat. 

They walked in, told the hostess their names, and took a seat. They plowed through a plate of nachos and started on dinner. Fajitas for Gordon and fish tacos for Alice. After Alice finished her first, Gordon pulled a skin tone colored credit card shaped piece of metal with a button on it out of his pocket and slid it over to his girlfriend.

"Put it on your stump, button side down, inside the pant's leg, and push down on it." Alice rolled her eyes, but did what he asked. 

She felt the metal hug her stump. She glanced under the table, then back at Gordon, then under the table again.

"My leg."

She let her fingers brush the cool metal. It felt strong, just as strong as her real leg. 

"Is it safe?"

"Go ahead and try it out," Gordon smiled, coming to help her up. He helped her put on the other shoe on the new leg.

Alice let him pull her to her feet. Feet, plural. 

She tested it, putting her full weight on it. It took the weight with no problems. Alice took a few careful steps wit Gordon's arm for balance, then took a step by herself.

The rush of emotions forced its way out of Alice in a bubble of laughter. Gordon smiled at her.

"Why don't we ask for boxes, blow this joint, and find a club?"

"I'll flag the waiter, you get on the web and find a place. Let's dance the night away, and if we're home before three they're going to be lucky."