Chapter 3: Dance

Alice sat on a park bench near the crowd of people. 

Her brother and his boyfriend, Keith, were dancing to some Shakira song. His friends were standing off to one side, waiting for their turn to take over the uneven dance floor.

Two years ago, she would have been the one ruling the floor side by side with her twin, but now she was forced to sit on the sidelines.

Alice missed the way she felt when she danced. The feeling of the sweat the would cling to her skin as she twisted and moved in time with the music. How she could let the music flow over her and how she and Lance didn't need words to know what the other was doing. 

She picked at one of the dozens of colorful bracelets that she wore. Her siblings had made them for her, most of them saying cheesy lines of encouragement. 

She was dressed in her favorite pair of tights and a loose tank top that stopped right above her bellybutton. On he right foot, her neon yellow tennis shoe screamed at her to get up and dance, but she couldn't.

"Hey you," a voice said, causing her to jump.

"Gordon, I thought you couldn't come," she said, sliding over to make room for him on the bench.

"Well, turns out I wasn't needed," Gordon said, running his hands through his sandy blonde hair. 

Alice wasn't sure what to say. 

"So, when are you getting up there?"

The question caught her off guard. She couldn't dance with only one leg. Yes, she was extremely skilled at dance and her balance was nearly flawless, but she couldn't dance.

"Never again," Alice said, standing. 

----------------------------------------

Gordon kicked himself while on his way home. 

He was so stupid for asking her that. He should have known that she couldn't dance with only one leg. 

Alice had looked so sad, just sitting there, listening to the music. He had seen the look in her eyes as she watched her brother move to the music. 

It was like Sam or Virgil playing the piano. The passion that bubbled out was lock behind a wall, just waiting for a way to get out.

Then Gordon had a crazy idea.