Part One: 35

"It didn't rain after all." Obadiah observed the night sky through the mouth of the cave. "I should head back to the palace."

"At this time of the night? It's too dangerous to head out alone. Harel should have stayed and accompanied you but he left—no, ran. Coward." A fierce frown marred Azariah's young features. He was one of his most trusted servants, and it was no surprise that he insisted on helping him out even though he knew nothing of what was going on.

"Harel is a confused man." Obadiah patted Azariah's shoulder. "He never wanted any of this in the first place."

"Then why bring him along?"

"Because..." Obadiah sighed. "Just because." He stood and dusted dirt off his robe. There was no need complicating things further by explaining Garnet's insistence that Harel should come along. On the other hand, Obadiah had not expected him to flee so fast.

All eyes were on Obadiah as he moved to the exit. The cave was large and housed all fifty prophets comfortably. The food he made available would sustain them for about a week, and those at the other cave also had equal rations. He had done his best for them, the rest was up to God.

"I must take my leave, I worry that the king may have a sudden need, and I wouldn't be around to do my duties." When he made it to the mouth of the cave, Azariah called after him.

"What is it?"

"Let me come with you. I have a sharp sword. It would go a long way in keeping bandits away."

Obadiah laughed. "What if a thousand of them come at us, what would your blade do then? The gate is not too far—"

"Listen to him," Rueben, the oldest of them all, said. If Obadiah was correct, the man was nearly a hundred years old. He shuddered to think of what the queen would have done if she got her hands on him. The rest mumbled their support.

"Fine. He comes with me." Nodding at Azariah, he added, "Light two lamps for our feet."

When they made it out of the place and led their donkeys by their reins down the steep hill, Obadiah prayed not to slip. It was a rocky way down. Being smashed to bits was not a good way to go.

***

Garnet sensed it when they made it out of the cave. The complicated part had finally come.

He was fast realising Ashera had no desire to have a real combat with him. The first wound he inflicted had since healed all the while she evaded and dodged his strikes. He was sick of whatever game she was playing and was more than ready to lop her head off. It seemed Agate suffered the same from Baal.

"Tired of dancing?" Ashers smiled.

The fact that she looked exactly like him as she went trapesing about only infuriated Garnet the more.

"Are those humans I see?" She asked.

Before Garnet could take advantage of her distraction, she bolted in the direction. It didn't take much to guess where she was headed. Just when he went after her, their smell hit him. A considerable number of the horde was coming their way.

"Great. Just, great."

Garnet appeared in time to stop Ashera from turning the ground beneath Obadiah's feet loose. Snatching her by the collar of her armour, he flung her away then shot after her hurtling frame. She crashed to the ground, skidded then bolted when he struck. He missed her by an inch.

And that was how the madness began. The horde kept coming for the two men and donkeys making it down the hill, and the two gods were mixed in it all.