History has its eyes on you

"You challenged Jefferson to a duel and you're only telling me now?". John huffed and smacked Alex' shoulder lightly.

"No! How often do I have to tell you that he challenged me!", Alex hissed back hastily looking around if anyone was listening to them but they were still alone on the corridor. John shook his head and closed his eyes as if he was thinking about something really important.

"This is madness", he declared surprising Alex more than anything else could ever have. John loved taking risks more than he loved fantastic beast and would never tell anyone that dueling was mad.

"What did you say to Jefferson to confront you like this? He never starts an argument when he knows how to make you do it for him", John explained unbelievingly. He's right, Alex realized. Jefferson always waited for him to make the first move probably in the hope of Professor Washington only giving detention to him.

"Do you think this is a trap?", he asked his friend. It could be possible. But what can he do to me? Suddenly another thought crossed his mind. What if he's the student who cursed the bird and works together with Lee? That would explain everything! Now Alex felt even more like going there, even if it was a trap. John got out some parchment and a quill and pressed it against the wall to write better.

"I'll get help", he explained shortly. Help? Alex almost panicked. What if he called Peggy? She would tell Eliza that he was heading to a duel with Jefferson even though she had told him to stay low. No. She isn't going to find out, he decided.

"Who are you writing to?", Alex asked as causal as possible just hoping that it wasn't Peggy. John turned around with an surprised look on his face.

"Herc and Laf", he replied and showed Alex the letter. Of course he'll get them, what was I thinking?

It was long after midnight and they weren't even allowed to be out on the corridors for so long but Alex just had to tell someone about the duel with Jefferson. He had laid on his bed for what felt like hours doing his homework not knowing if Jefferson had really challenged him to a duel or if he had just imagined this part. So he had written a letter bird to his best friend and surprisingly he had answered in the middle of the night telling him to meet him at the spot they were standing on right at the moment. And it was true. Alex was going to his very first duel tonight. I have to win! He knew Jefferson had more experience than him but over the months of being at Ilvermorny now Alex had learned a lot of new spells too. It could work.

"Hammy did WHAT?", someone shouted and Hercules ran over to them shaking his head.

"Psst!", Alex made. "I did nothing!"

Why could no one believe him that he hadn't been the one asking for the duel? Well, he probably would have challenged Jefferson someday anyway but that wasn't the point!

Lafayette snuck up to Hercules and put his hands onto his eyes so he couldn't see anymore.

M"Not so loud mon ami! I knew this would happen but still. Pourquoi? I always thought you would become best friends", he explained and shook his head.

Why? Jefferson and I have nothing in common. Nothing! But Alex only shrugged not wanting to fight with his friends right now. He had to prepare for a more important confrontation.

Hercules removed Lafayette's hands from his face and shot the Frenchman an angry glance.

"Hands of!", he hissed before turning back to Alex shaking his head. "I still can't believe it. I know you guys hate each other but not like this!"