Chapter 19: Afraid of His Own Shadow

The next day, during the homeroom period,

"Saa, everyone. Take your seats..." the teacher walked inside the room and placed her things on the teacher's table.

Everyone fell silent and went back to their seats.

She stood on the platform in front of the class on her gray stilettoes. Her black pencil skirt traces her curved hips and tucked in her flowery white top. She wears a lip that is as red as ketchup and with heavy make-up on. Her hair is split in half but dragged behind her head in a bun.

"...your Graduation is almost near, well...it will be two months from now though. But, we can declare it is almost near..." her high-pitched voice echoed the classroom.

"Way to go, Mrs. Milton!!" The class cheered. They chattered all over the place and excitement filled the air that suffocated one person behind.

"...as your final requirement,,, it's a compulsory one." Mrs. Milton said and the class was silenced. "The principal pulled a lot of strings and arrangements just to have this day given to you before you graduate from this school. This is an opportunity exploited by the administration with their close ties with the company. Yes, I know where you're thinking we'll be going right now,..."

The class became serious to hear what the teacher is about to say and looked straight in front to see her piercing look.

"...We are all going to have a field trip at ORION!" Mrs. Milton declared.

Hearing the name ORION, Markus was nailed on his seat. His hands started to sweat in cold. His heart beats fast; memory flashes like shooting stars.

He didn't join the commotion that the class was making. Cassandra and Dave didn't show enthusiasm either seeing Markus tremble from his seat.

"...Sa,... silence, please... I will continue. As I've said, it's a compulsory activity. You will be given a waiver that you should let your parents sign and return it in a week before the field trip. The one who will not join the Field trip will remain in this school, in the other words, He/She will not graduate. I mean, who would not want to go to Orion?" The class shared thoughts among themselves "...I will be distributing the waiver now and you will have to return it next month. Give it a thought... the list of what and how much you will pay is on the other sheet at the back of the paper. Have your parents or guardian sign it for you, okay?" the class passed the papers backward securing a copy for their own.

Markus is hesitant about receiving the paper passed to him. He didn't receive it but the kid in front dropped it on his table, irritated.

Knowing that he will be going to the place he detests the most after that incident, he looked blankly at the scattered papers.

<Markus...> Cassandra thought. She slowly stood and grabbed the papers from Markus' table and left nothing on it.

The teacher continued instructing and reprimanding until her time is up. She came out of the room and the students fled as well.

Markus didn't move from his seat. Cassandra and Dave came to him and said something to cheer him up.

"It will be fine, Marky... we will be there with you..." Dave said

"Ahh... we will hide you from that scary man from ORION... we'll definitely find a way," Cassandra added. "Besides, we're in a large number. They won't notice you, swear."

He didn't respond as he stared at his desk.

<ORION>

The word stuck on his mind.

Cassandra saw Markus' hand trembling and she reached for it. It felt so cold and stiff as he is having his panic attack when her hand touches his'.