Chapter 9

Lance woke up the next morning with a note taped to his forehead. Once the sleep was out of his eyes, he was able to make out the message the youngest had left behind.

"Hunk and I went to make food, come join us when you're ready"

The omega smiled at the letter, before getting out of bed. He washed his face and brushed out his hair, soon reaching for his pills as the next step in his routine.

Lance hesitated, thinking about what Pidge had told him the night before. After a few minutes of contemplation, he decided to take his scent blockers and leave the suppressants alone.

He wanted his two friends to be proud of him.

While walking to the dining room, he was met by the two alphas of the group.

They were laughing, teasing each other like a loved-up couple should. It was quite cute to witness.

Once Keith had noticed Lance, the alpha almost immediately began to frown.

"Oh, it's you," Keith looked the omega up and down.

"U-um hi?" He questioned back.

Keith intertwined his and Shiro's hands, letting out a scoff, "that stutter isn't very attractive, lover boy."

Keith starts walking again, dragging Shiro with him. The two alphas entered the dining room greeting the other paladins as if old friends.

Lance let out a sigh. A pout sat deeply on his face.

Did he even want to go in there?
Was it really worth being insulted?

Lance was about to head back to his room, only taking a few steps before remembering Pidge was expecting him. He couldn't disappoint him, this was his newest friend and member in his nest. He wanted to make his beta happy, and showing up will make him happy.

Once he walked into the dining hall, he watched everyone's reactions to him entering the room. The only one that seemed to matter was the youngest's.

His eyes had lit up, "Lance! You made it! Come sit by me!" Pidge had yelled. He pats the seat next to him.

The omega smiled big ; He was wanted for a change.

Lance found himself chuckling, "ok, ok, calm yourself,"

He sat down next the the beta, soon being handed a bowl full to the brim of space goo.

Hunk took a seat next to him,"Eat up!"

Lance gave him a weary smile before taking a few bites. He tried to eat all of it, he really did, but it was hard after trying to keep the weight off for so long.

His stomach felt bloated after  half the bowl and soon found himself uncomfortably leaning back in his chair.

Lance pushed the bowl away from himself, wrapping his jacket around his middle. He kept his gaze on the table to try and keep a low profile as the alphas were still in the room.

The paladins were listening to an extravagant story Coran was reenacting.

Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Even Keith was laughing at the older Altean's antics.

He didn't know the exact moment Keith began to hate him. He bantered  with the alpha, he thought it was a friendly kind. However, with the hateful glares, Lance thinks he did something wrong.

Maybe if he acted more laid back and talked less about himself, he could be friends with the alpha.

Omegas always wanted to make peace and be friends with everyone, and Lance was no different. If he wanted to be more omega-like, he needed to start acting on his instincts instead of pausing to take into consideration how a beta would react.

As Lance was thinking, the other paladins had started a conversation whether Pepsi or Coke is the better soda. Shiro, Pidge, and Hunk agreed that Pepsi was better while Keith agreed that coke was better.

"It's sweeter! And it doesn't feel like it's on your teeth afterwards!" Hunk said, the other two nodding in agreement.

Keith retaliated,"It's too sweet! Coke is like the only soda that isn't too sweet!" 

Once the conversation became extremely heated, Lance decided to step in.

"I- I mean I like Coke..."

Keith banged on the table, "no one asked you Lance! Keep your mouth shut unless spoken to!" The room went silent with the alphas command, ringing in the ears of the paladins as the alpha voice sunk deep into the omegas being.

Omegas can't disobey an alphas command when using a special tone.

With his eyes watering and his hands shaking, Lance nodded before standing up. As he went to leave the room, Pidge grabbed onto his arm only to be lightly nudged off before the omega ran for the door.

Hunk and Pidge, being betas were also affected by the voice. The tone was loud and commanding, however when trying hard enough they can disobey. This was not a command for them however, leaving them angry at how Keith had treated Lance.

Pidge glared at Keith, "I hope you're fucking happy."

Hunk and Pidge both pushed back their chairs, leaving them to scrape against the floor. They promptly left, both giving death glares to Keith while passing him.