Chapter Seventeen

17.

The day passed quickly, for once. I couldn't wait to go home. And after a while, after I had wiped my humiliating tears away. As the class periods had passed, I had seen Em in the halls, and we'd done a head nod in greeting.

Both Riley and Tyler had avoided me, in the halls and classes. I heard people whisper about if we had broken up. I needed to escape. So, after school got out, I stopped Em. She had just come out of a classroom near mine, and I had practically sprinted towards her. She regarded me with mild confusion, as to why I was acting so strangely. Interest was sparkling back at me in her eyes.

"Do you wanna hang out?" I asked hopefully, slightly breathless.

She looked confused at first, but then her features lit up and she nodded her head vigorously. I smiled at her gratefully. At this point, I didn't really care. I just needed a friend.

However, I wasn't really sure how we were going to get home. It was too far to walk to my house, that and I was lazy. And I really wanted to apologize to Tyler for being a jerk. So Em made him give us a ride.

I could tell he was hesitant to talk to me like he thought I was going to yell at him again. I did the exact opposite. I was wringing my hands and fidgeting all the way over to where he was standing. Em kept giving me weird looks.

"I am so sorry about how I acted,  earlier today. I shouldn't have said what I did." I say, eye downcast.

"It's whatever." He says with a shrug. Not forgiveness, exactly. But it was as close as I was going to get. I decided to spam text him when I got home. He looks good, as always. His hair rumpled like he has run his hand through it. But what always got me was his eyes. So perfect, and bright. Filled with intelligence. And I realize I haven't thought about Harris, for a while.

While I had noticed how tense he was around Tyler and me, he had yet to actually react. Thinking about it, I decided the perfect time to do something to get a reaction out of him would be at the dance.

I texted my mum to let her know I had a friend coming over. When she responds, I flinch.

I'm so glad you and Riley have made up!

I don't have the heart to tell her, we have in fact, not made up.

Different friend.

Oh... is it a boy? Archer says you were seeing a boy. I don't want you home alone with a boy, Melody.

I choke on my own saliva and decide to kill Archer.

No, not a boy mum. She's a new friend from school.

Oh, okay. ;) 

I set my phone down, and see my house come into view. I grab my stuff and hop out. Em follows me, and when she sees my house, I see a glint of jealousy in her eyes.

I'll admit my house is nice, and I flinch when I realize she probably is not as fortunate in her living area as I am. I start to feel bad like I'm rubbing it in her face, so I grab her arm and pull her into my house.