Chapter Ten

10.

I couldn't keep a smile off my face for the rest of the day. Tyler was actually pretty cool, not that I'd tell him so. Even if he was a Ninja hater.

Riley had agreed to drive me home, and I felt bad because I didn't want her to always be my chauffeur. However, the guilt was easily overridden with my dislike for the bus.

As we walked out to the car, Riley got a text message. And her face lit up.

"Do you wanna come over to my house for the afternoon?" She asks hopefully. I nod eagerly and then text my parents.

Long story short, we get to hang out until six.

- - - - - - - - - -

Riley's neighborhood was a beautiful place in an urban sense. Given the fact that the walls were covered in graffiti. This side of town was where the gang member lived, the theft rate was up. I loved it here.

Riley's house is one story, cheerful yellow house. With the paint peeling and a small metal door. She pulled her precious car in the garage and locked it in. She would rather lose her hand than her car.

I hop out and leave my bag in the car. Figuring she could drop me off. We walk into her house. The only word to describe it was warm. The walls have painted the color of the sunset. While in her room, they were the colors of a sunrise. The table seated four people, and the kitchen was a third of the size as mine.

Her room in the very back of the house, and so we walk in. While my room is blue. Her's is a mixture of yellow, red, and orange. It is beautiful, her mum works as a painter.

I plop down on the bed, and she falls into her bean bag chair. She looks like she wants to ask a question. "What is the operation called again?"

"Operation take down idiotic ex. Or O.T.D.I.E." I say proudly. It was going so well. Right now, Tyler and I looked like we were really good friends. And to onlookers, the could be wondering 'if maybe there is more.' The people in the school are cheaply amused by a platonic relationship, even if they suspected more.

"Ot die?" Riley asks with a laugh. I flush, embarrassment sweeping in. I then decided that it is definitely what I want to be the name of my operation. I just shrug, and she lets out another peal of laughter. Eager to change the subject, I try to distract her. The best way: Boy talk. Even though she had never been on a date, she did have a crush. Get her to talk about her love life, rather than my sad one.

"How's it going with that boy next door? I heard you fancied him or something?" I asked, amusement in my tone. Her expression immediately changes into something of guilt and fear. I felt bad, not meaning to offend her, but not taking back my question because I was now very curious. Her mother saves her from answering.

"RILEY? MELLIE? YOU HOME?" She calls. "YEAH!" Riley yells back, and we both stand up to go visit her. Mellie was my nickname from most people. Except for Tyler, then it was just a random name with an 'M' at the start of it.

She quickly engulfs me in a too tight hug. I haven't seen her in forever, but she smells of acrylic paint and gingerbread cookies. She always keeps a tin of them. I've missed her.

"It's been too long." She says, with a sad smile as she pulls away to look at my face. She looks remarkably like Riley. Just 20 years older. Her face is kind and surprisingly full of youth. Her long dark brown hair is curling, and her eyes are a lovely hazel. They always seem to sparkle.

"It has." I agree with her. She is like a second mother to me. She turns to look at Riley. "Hi honey, how was school?" Riley shrugs. The curtain to the living room is open, and I let out an audible gasp in surprise. Tyler, is out there, doing who knows what. Talking with another guy, in this instance, they both look like they're on defense. Having an argument. It isn't fair that it makes him look hotter. Riley's mum looks at the window and her cheerful expression falters.

"Do you know that boy?" She asks. Riley pales, a look of surprised disgust flits across her face,

I nod. "He goes to our school." 

"You should stay away from that boy. He comes at weird hours, does jobs for the gang out here. I don't know why, but I do know that a boy like that is trouble." She says, her nose flaring in anger. I just nod. Not knowing what else to do. I already knew he sold drugs, this was new. I also knew not to judge someone based on what they have in there pockets. "We're gonna go back to my bedroom and hang out," Riley says, tugging me away.

"What the hell was that! Did you know he sold drugs?" She asks frantically the moment the door was closed. My hesitation is an answer enough. "You still associate with him? I may live on the wrong side of the tracks, but even I know to stay away from boys like him." She snaps at me. I want to say, you guys could be siblings.

 If you put us in a line, I would be the oddball. Dressed in the nicest clothes, the perfect preppy girl. They both looked like people to avoid, in the halls, the younger grades backed away from them. They drew immediate attention. The first thought when you saw them as they are trouble.

That is what draws me towards them. 

"I don't know about you, but I'm gonna stay away from him. You can continue with your stupid operation, but I'm not gonna be there to go down with you." I flinched, it hurt. I also knew how to beat her in this little war. We have had many different squabbles, but none where she'd threatened to leave me.

"I thought you liked a challenge? I didn't know you were on to back away. Are you scared of him, all the fun we could have? You may look like a 'bad girl' but you sure are a stick in the mud." I snap back, instantly feeling bad. She was trying to protect herself, she'd been hurt by people throughout her life. She looks up, and I can see her eyes watering. Her mouth set in a firm line. Guilt is welling up, but the one thing I can't promise is cutting myself off from Tyler. He is too alluring, another spot of brightness in my life. Just like Riley is. It wouldn't be fair to him, to stop the operation. Not be friends anymore, if we even are friends. This whole situation confuses me. I just know I want them both in my life. 

I can tell Riley knew that. I could also tell that she was worried I would get myself hurt again. I add on one more part to it, an apology as well as my final sales pitch. If she doesn't agree, I don't know what I'll do. "I'm sorry, but don't you want to see Erika crumble?"

"More than anything." She whispers.

- - - - - - - - - - 

A/N  ~Roughly edited~

Oh my goddess! Thank you, we're to 500 reads. I love you guys so much, you're amazing. Keep commenting and voting. Have a wonderful day!

~Skye