Chapter Four

4.

Gym, my second least favorite class. I hate my gym clothes, they're always way too baggy and the sag, a lot. I have to focus otherwise I will probably be knocked out by whatever game we're playing. The downside of having P.E first period is that everyone is half asleep and no one really wants to be there. Well, some did but I didn't count them because they're crazy.

We started by getting warmed up. We ran in a few circles around the gym while the teachers talked. They insist we call them to coach. I was fortunate to have Riley in this class. However, Harris and Erika were also here. Another newcomer to the unfortunate list is Tyler. He was the giant I ran into at lunch. I just wasn't paying attention. He is in this class too.

We went and sat down, and the teachers started a basic lecture about how PE isn't the big picture and it relates to real life. I paid attention, but it was also boring because we had all heard it before.

"Alright, everybody. Today we're doing dodge ball," Mrs. Wallace said. Half the class groaned (Including Riley and me) and the other half (The jocks) whooped excitedly, "Quiet down, we have to separate you into teams."

We were separated into two groups, the 23 of us made it kinda awkward. I looked over and felt a wave of relief. I glanced over our group. It was a few jocks, some misfits, some nerds (Who despite common knowledge don't suck at dodge ball) and some baddies. I glanced past a tall black haired guy who I had immediately classified as a baddie and realized it was Tyler. He looked just as good without a beanie. I did a double take and sorta openly stared, before he caught me looking and rolled his eyes.

Great, he caught me staring at him like an idiot. Hope he doesn't get the wrong impression.

He couldn't get that from a glimpse, right?

I mean, maybe. But only if he is a self-conceited jerk. Which is basically all high school guys. Ugh, Why?

I sighed out loud before I focused on examining my competitors. They had nothing to fear if it was just me, but we had most of the quote on quote 'good' people, no sexual innuendo intended.

They had a more equal assortment.

They had Riley, but she wasn't my main focus. I just wanted to use Harris' face for target practice. Even if it earns me an out, for a while. I still want to hurt his face that he finds so precious.

This is the therapy that I need, the one where I can physically hurt him without being reprimanded. For once, dodge ball actually sounds like a little bit of fun.

I saw the coach motion us to touch the opposite walls of each other and we did. I heard Mrs. Wallace counting down.

"3.."

I looked across me, to see who I would have to beat to the middle. I may not be a long distance runner, but I can sprint.

"2.."

I saw electric blue eyes staring back at me. Erika with a tiny grin on her face probably thinking she would win just because she actually had some tennis shoes on.

"1.."

Little did she know, I was determined to prove I was better than her t something, even if it only dodge ball.

"GO!"

- - - - - - - -

"Just, how?" I heard Harris groan in exaggeration. I felt one side of my face tip up, knowing I got the shot that hit him right smack in the middle of the face. I thanked the heavens that my aiming skills came in and it didn't fly past him.

I would've looked like more of an idiot than I already am.

"How could you beat me? I've won all these ridiculous dodge ball games ever since I've moved to stupid town. You had to come, the new kid, and ruin it all," I heard Harris rant as he stomped over to Tyler, who was standing next to me, "And you. Of course, you'd be helping him. You had to get the final shot. You're such a slut." Harris spat in my direction, pointing an accusing finger in my direction.

"If being good at dodge ball makes me a slut. That would make you an ex-manslut." I snap back. Raising an eyebrow in his direction. Tapping my chin, I thoughtfully added. "You still are a manslut, but not for being good at dodge ball." I laughed lightly to myself. I never imagined that I would call him such a derogatory name.

"You aren't a slut for winning dodge ball. You know why you are a slut." He says scowling.

"For the record, I am very confused," Tyler says. But he looks slightly angry.

Harris' eyes grow very dark. If looks could kill, I would be six feet under.

I glance over at Tyler. He has an equally murderous look aimed at Harris. I could practically take a knife and cut the tension around us.

A few kids were watching us and hanging on to every word that was being exchanged. Erika saw us facing off and walked over, wrapping her arm around his waist. Harris put his arm over her shoulder while Harris looked pointedly at me. A look that said 'this is my girl, deal with it. '.

Tyler looked back and forth between us. Catching my hurt expression and Harris' triumphant one. His mouth formed an O shape like he just found that one piece in a puzzle he had been searching for.

Erika looked at me, her eyebrow was lifted up, and she had a look of surprise. She looks at Tyler, and then back to me.

"Do you mind if I borrow Melody for a minute?" She asks a little too eagerly. She was giving an expectant look at Tyler as if she is asking for his permission.

"He's not my boyfriend, nor does he own me. I don't want to speak to you either way." I said before strutting away, leaving them all gawking.

Before I was out of earshot, Erika whispered very loudly, as if she wanted me to hear, to who I suspect was Harris, "I guess she's still lonely, like she'll always be."

I felt tears stinging my eyes as I kept walking. I saw Riley waiting by the gym door, leaning against the metal frame. She had a smirk on her face.

"What is it and why do you look like you are plotting to kill someone?" I asked, a hint of amusement in my voice.

"I have a plan to make him jealous, but it involves Tyler Rhodes."