Epilogue

Skander sat behind his desk. He looked completely healed from the ordeal that had befallen him and even his quarters seemed no worse off than before. It had been a pleasant surprise for Cheid to see his master doing so well upon his return, but now, sitting across from him, he felt uneasy knowing that not everything had gone as planned on their journey. He had just finished telling about the journey to the older wizard.

“So, Deremoth is whole again,” mused Skander as he leaned back in his chair. “That'll mean a lot of work for all of us.”

Cheid nodded in agreement. “No doubt the Blades that remain are already busy gathering support and gaining favour from their patron god.”

“What of Nala?” asked Skander. “I had expected her to return with you.”

Cheid explained what had happened to the elven High Council. It had been a shock to all of them as they had returned to the lush city. “She decided to remain wit the elves for a while. They were busy trying to get her to take a seat in the High Council, but she seemed less than willing.” The young wizard shrugged his shoulders. “Her plan was to help them set things up and then return to her parents forest.”

“And Gareth?”

A small smile appeared on Cheid's face. “He chose to remain with Nala to ensure her safety.”

The corners of Skanders mouth twitched in amusement. “Good. Someone needs to keep an eye on her and I trust Gareth to do just that.”

“What now?” asked Cheid. It was a question he had heard asked many times during the past month and every time the answer seemed unsatisfying to him. He hoped his master could offer a satisfying one.

“We watch,” said Skander and stood up. “We listen and we act when needed, just as we have done until now.” He turned to look out the window behind him. The sun was setting, painting the sky a combination of orange and pink.

“It's a new era for us,” he continued. “One, I fear, will be much darker than what came before it, but we have our pillars of light around which to rally.”

The words did not make Cheid feel any easier, though he found himself agreeing with all that was said. His only hope was that the pillars would be strong enough.

“Almost forgot,” said Skander and turned around with a wicked smile on his face. “The empress expressed her wish to talk with you. In private.”

Cheid's heart sank and he sighed. He'd rather have ventured into Deremoths cavern once more than face the empress and explain everything about the past to her.

It seemed life would not be so different for him after all.