Chapter 22

Tibiniah found herself worrying as she walked down the corridor towards the quarters of Aliris. Nisoen had assured her that she would have people following her in case something went wrong, but she could not see anyone besides herself and the two usual guards she had tailing her where ever she went. She hoped the meeting would go well and without incident, but the fact she was going to meet people who were responsible for a lot of grief, in her life as well as many others, did not make her feel any better about it.

She had hoped it would take longer to get to where she was going, but she stood in front of the door before even realizing it. She took a deep breath and nervously knocked the door. She tugged at the sleeve of her dress to straighten out a crinkle. It was a practical dress, far from the finest she had, but it would do for the occasion.

Aliris opened the door and welcomed her in. The council member seemed relaxed and wore a dress that put the practical choice of Tibiniah to shame. The young elf found it an odd choice for a simple private occasion.

The quarters were more roomy than what Tibiniah had. While she had a single room, albeit a large room, Aliris seemed to have a whole houses worth in her use. She had entered into a room with a fireplace, a dining table and several comfortable looking chairs sprinkled around the room. Two doorways led away from the room and she could make out a study beyond the other while the other had the door closed. Perhaps it was her bedroom or maybe she had a kitchen as well?

The dining table was all set. Plates, utensils, serving platters that were covered, no doubt hiding within was their supper. What surprised her was that it was set for only two people. Wasn't she supposed to meet others? Aliris must have noticed the look she gave the table.

“Our other guests do not really eat anything,” she explained as she guided Tibiniah to the table. The young elf took a seat and found the chair surprisingly comfortable for a dining table.

“Will they be joining us soon?” asked Tibiniah.

“We have time to eat,” replied Aliris and lifted the covers from the serving platters, revealing an assortment of foods from roasted quail and honey cakes to fresh looking dark bread.

They enjoyed their food, though Tibiniah had no appetite to quench. She nibbled on her portion sparingly and focused more on keeping the conversation going with Aliris, even if what they talked about had little meaning to her.

They finished eating, but remained seated at the table. Their guest was late and Aliris was trying to fill the waiting time with some talk about current gossip. Tibinah did her best to hide her boredom.

She was startled as a figure appeared in the chair opposite to hers. The dark hood covered its face and the long sleeves hid his hands. Its voice was dry and rasping as it spoke. “Good evening, esteemed council member.”

Tibiniah could not help but notice the tone with which the words were spoken. There was no effort to hide the amusement with which he expressed himself.

“We've been waiting for you, Vinecaster,” said Aliris. She sounded relieved that she no longer needed to drone on about the latest scandal that had rocked the gossip-mongers.

“Apologies,” replied the figure. “Certain matters had arisen that needed my attention.”

Aliris eyed the hooded creature, but let the matter slide. “This is Tibiniah Stardancer,” she introduced to the figure. “The sister of Nerduin.”

The hood shifted slightly as it turned to examine the young elf. Even though she could not see its face, she felt uncomfortable under its examination. “It is good to meet you,” she said in a voice that sounded weak even in her mind.