Chapter 10

Cheid had spent an uneventful first day observing the northern gate. The flow of people in and out of the city had been fairly constant, but there had been no sign of the caravan he was waiting for. There was only one gate they could come through so he was certain they had not gotten past him unnoticed.

He spent the day loitering around until he found a tavern that had a few tables placed outside for more room. It offered a clear view to the gate so he sat down there and enjoyed the offerings of the tavern. He stayed there until darkness fell and the gates were closed. No caravan would enter the city until first light.

The following morning Cheid was the first customer to arrive at the tavern. The owner greeted him with a smile as he ordered a pint of beer and some bread and cheese for breakfast. He figured it would be a long day of sitting around doing nothing, even though this was the day the caravan was most likely to arrive. While enjoying his breakfast he watched the people walk by; workers hurrying with tools in hand, servants running early errands for their masters, children swarming around their mothers as they made their way to the nearest marketplace.

The sight made Cheid remember all that he had lost those years ago. He could barely remember how his mother had looked. He remembered smells and touches, feelings, but not much else.

He sighed and drank from his pint.

It was his fourth pint by midday. It was then that he saw the caravan enter through the gates; several wagons, several riders on horses. It was hard to miss the small figure wrapped in a green cloak. Among the men surrounding her, she stuck out like a nail from a piece of wood.

Cheid stood up and followed the caravan as it made its way towards the harbour. He had no trouble keeping up. The street to the dock was always crowded and walking was in most situations faster than going by horse.

O O O

Nala eyed the crowded street from under her hood. It seemed the mass of people went on forever. She eyed the towering stone buildings and the walkways up above that seemed to create a foliage of pure stone.

She did not like this city any more than Cerena.

The wagons cleared way for the caravan and the outriders to make their way towards the harbour. Nala had to wonder whether she would have a chance to get on a boat for the first time in her life. She rode closer to the caravan leader and asked how they'd get to the central island that loomed ahead of them.

“Caravans like ours make use of a tunnel that goes under the river and comes up at the northern harbour of the central island,” responded the man.

“A tunnel?” asked Nala weakly. She had not expected that. Going underground seemed an uncomfortable prospect to her.

The caravan leader nodded. “Don't you worry. It's perfectly safe. It's well lit, there's room enough to put five wagons side to side and stack ten on top of each other to reach the ceiling.” The man winked at Nala. “Room enough that people with anxiety about tight places won't feel too uncomfortable.”

“It's not the tightness of space I worry, but the mass of land above,” muttered Nala.

The caravan leader chuckled, but did not say anything more.

Nala returned to observing the city around her. She noted the people did not seem that different from those of Cerena. She could see the same sort of errands being run, though she did notice there seemed to be more people who were serving others and running their errands for them.

The caravan reached the harbour gates. The guards stopped them and began to ask questions; where they were from, what was their cargo and destination. They wanted to search the wagons.