Chapter 17

The ship sailed smoothly up the river, pushed by the gentle breeze that blew from down the river. Nala spent much of the first day on the deck, enjoying the sunshine and looking at the ships crew as they went along performing their duties. It was her first time on a ship so everything about it intrigued her. The crew respected her privacy and despite the curious glances she gathered with her appearance, they did not approach her unless she made the initiative to ask something. They were happy to give her questions answers. Perhaps the fact she was showing genuine interest in their duties and life aboard a ship helped them accept her more readily.

Nala did note that the gentle breeze seemed to carry with it whispers that only she could hear. Sometimes when she was leaning on the railing she could swear she heard whisper coming from the water below. She figured they were similar elemental spirits that had talked to her in the Towers of Magic and gave them little notice.

As evening fell and the sunlight began to wane, large lanterns were lit at the stern and bow of the ship. The ship lowered anchor for the night since sailing in the darkness would have been too dangerous and the crew needed rest from the rowing as well.

For Nala and Ahnilr, there was no worry as they settled in the comfort of their cabin. Cheid and Gareth had their own at the bow of the ship. The calm river made the ride a smooth one so Nala had no trouble sleeping. There was no heaving or rocking that could have made her sick. She slept soundly and well into the next day. Even then she would not have woken up had it not been for Ahnilr and a tray of food that made her mouth water.

“Good morning, though I suppose it is almost mid day,” said Ahnilr with a small smile.

Nala rose from under her blanket and rubbed her eyes, still groggy from having just woken up. “Good morning,” she mumbled and ruffled her greenish hair. Her nightgown was slipping over one of her shoulders.

“Breakfast?” asked the priestess and motioned towards the tray of food she had brought with her.

“Yes, please,” said Nala and stumbled to the small table and sat on a chair. Both of them were fastened tight to the floor so they wouldn't move around should the ship sail in rougher waters.

Ahnilr spooned her a bowl full of stew and cut her a thick slice of bread and cheese. It almost made Nala feel like she was back home and her mother had just kicked her out of bed. It had not been that unusual and it had often ended just like the situation was now; her sitting at the table half asleep while her mother put breakfast under her nose.

“What's the matter?” asked Ahnilr. Nala's thoughts must have shown on her face.

Nala managed a smile, even if it was a sorrowful one. “Just thought about my mother,” she replied to the priestess and spooned in the first mouthful of stew.

Ahnilr said nothing further. Even though her own family was well and alive, she had seen plenty of those who had lost loved ones. For a long time some things would remind them of events they had experienced together with those who had been lost. It was part of the process of grieving and it was best to let them live those moments in peace. The expression on Nala's face told the priestess enough to let her be and enjoy the meal in silence.

“When will we arrive in Wroth?” asked Nala as she finished her meal.

“I heard it was a six day trip up the river, so maybe five days from now,” replied Ahnilr.

Nala ruffled her hair a bit more, but found her fingers stuck in a tangle. She sighed as she raked her fingers through the locks of hair to untangle it.

“Do you have a brush?” asked Ahnilr.

“I do.”

“Go get it then. I'll brush your hair,” said the priestess. “Otherwise your hair will be in tangles for the rest of your life.”