Chapter 13

The chambers of Skander seemed small for the crowd that had been gathered in it, especially due to the strained relations between some of the people there. The three elves were there along with Cheid. Nala had taken over a corner of the room for herself and tried to stay out of the way of Nerduin. The young noble seemed to have the same desire, though he did make some contempt filled glances at Nala. Clearly what had happened the previous day had not phased him.

Nisoen did not seem overly concerned with what had happened nor did he show any signs of increased interest towards Nala. He remained cool and distant to her.

Ahnilr on the other hand fussed over to Nala the moment she saw her. She was anxious to hear how Nala was doing and, after hearing that she was doing well, a flood of questions was launched that left Nala feeling like a caged animal. The priestess wanted to know everything; how it had felt, what she had heard, learned, was there some divine wisdom she could offer her. The answers Nala tried to provide were not very convincing.

Skander waited, hoping Gareth would make it to the meeting, but as time went on it became obvious he would not. So he started the meeting and fully exposed his plan. It was a simple plan that would hopefully draw out Derian, but it involved a degree of risk for Nala that Skander was reluctant to shove on her shoulders, but he saw no other choice.

Nala seemed unconcerned when she heard what was expected of her. She knew the danger it would put her in, but it seemed like the best course of action. What did bother her was the fact she'd need to put on some fancier clothes and parade around in public while wearing them. She was most used to her plain tunic and trousers.

Nerduin did not take kindly to the plan, mostly because he was sidelined into playing practically no part in it. That seemed to suit everyone else just fine and his objections were over ruled despite his high position. He fell into a silent sulk while the others honed the details of the plan.

By mid day all had been settled and the elven delegation departed shortly after Ahnilr had taken a few measurements from Nala so proper clothing could be arranged for her. Only Cheid, Skander and Nala remained in the wizard's quarters.

“Well, that could have gone worse,” said Skander. He was clearly happy with himself.

“Maybe for some,” muttered Nala.

“Come now, surely wearing a dress can not be that bad?” inquired Cheid.

“It's not the dress. It's that I have to wear it in public,” said Nala. She felt uncomfortable enough just taking down the hood of her cloak. Now she'd have to walk the streets in a dress that would expose much more of her than just the colour of her hair.

“Well, you did agree to it,” reminded Cheid. Nala glared at him.

“Allright you two. Save the complaining for another time,” said Skander. “Nala, I believe most will find you a delightful sight in a proper dress.”

“That's what I'm afraid of,” muttered the young elf under her breath.

“You need to attract attention,” continued Skander without acknowledging her little words of rebellion. “The whole plan rests on that.”

“I know,” said Nala in a resigned voice.

Skander nodded in approval. “Now then, do you want to come with me this evening so you can meet Gareth?” The question was directed at Nala.

“Better I meet him now than when I need to be killing people,” came a reply from her.

“Indeed,” said Skander dryly.

The rest of the day went by quickly. Skander had his usual pile of papers to go through and Cheid was delving deeper into the book he had spent the entire yesterday on.