Chapter 9

The rain made everything seem a dull grey. It created a veil that limited vision so you could barely see from one end of the caravan to the other.

Nala sighed.

It wasn't so much the rain, or the sore muscles from riding for the first time, that had her feeling glum, though the wet clothes that chafed at her skin did not help. Even through her tightly wrapped cloak the water had seeped in and trenched her all over.

No, it was the lack of sunlight that was getting to her. Since entering Cerena she had not had time or the opportunity to be in the sunlight for any extended period of time, let alone without having had to cover herself in clothes. Even after only two days she could feel her strength waning, her mood swinging towards melancholy. She could only hope tomorrow would provide her with an opportunity to bathe in the sunlight.

Her first day with the caravan was nearing an end. She had been largely left alone, though she did receive some curious looks from the men in the caravan. To them, there was an air of mystery around her and save for a few glimpses, none of them had seen her without the heavy cloak, deep hood and gloves. They did not bother her though, most probably because of Rilus. These were his hired men and they knew there would be hell to pay if she did not arrive safely in Ramyn.

They set up camp by the muddy road as darkness fell. It came earlier than usual due to the thick clouds and the slight drizzle of rain that still poured from the sky. She watched as the members of the caravan were busy with their chores. Tents were being erected, fires made, food prepared, guard shifts handed out.

Nala stretched herself, trying to loosen muscles she did not know she had.

“First time riding?”

She turned around to see the leader of the caravan. He was a gentle looking man with grey hair and a beard, only a palms width taller than Nala and built like a rickety fence.

“Is it that obvious?” asked Nala.

The man chuckled. “Don't you worry. You'll get used to it soon enough.”

“I hope so,” muttered Nala under the cover of her hood. She had no wish to spend more days torturing herself on the back of the horse, though she had to admit the journey seemed to progress faster with the beast.

“I've told them to set up your tent some way from the others.” The man pointed to a place under a few trees, just at the root of a small hill. It was barely outside the light of the nearest camp fire. “I doubt there will be any problems during the night. This is a very safe road.”

“I just hope this rain stops,” said Nala as she looked to the grey sky. A bit of sunlight was exactly what she needed.

The man peered at the sky, “I reckon we'll have clear skies tomorrow.”

“You say it with such confidence.”

“Of course. My mother could tell rain coming two days beforehand. I ain't claiming to be as good as her, but I know what the weather will be tomorrow, that much I can tell you.”

“I hope you're right,” said Nala. She dragged her belongings from the back of the horse and made her way to the tent that had been set up for her. She tossed her belongings inside and walked on to the top of the small hill.

The view did not reveal anything new to her. The same grass plain as far as she could see in the growing darkness, with an occasional small hill or a small copse. She turned around to look down the road. It slithered through the green grass like a long, brown snake. In the rain and darkness it all seemed so depressing. Her hands went to her swords for comfort.

Guardian SpiritOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara