Chapter 4

Skander had returned from the Elven Kingdom to bring news that the kingdom would keep an watchful eye over all the forests and that they would send out men to find out more about the incidents that had been reported. He had then returned to his duties in the Five Towers of Magic. Since then, no further incidents had been reported.

The relationship of Nala and Tydian was made official that autumn. The marriage date was set two years away to allow more time for their elf tree to grow for they could not plant the seed until spring. The two met more often and found the prospect of a future life together ever more appealing. Continuing her training, Nala found herself growing in skill at a pace that surprised even her parents. As the winds became colder and winter was but a few steps away, Nala completed the task her father had set her on that very summer. The first sign the roe had of her was her touch on its back.

The winter following Skanders visit was harsh with snow banks that were as deep as Nala was tall. The massive amount of snow made tending to trees difficult and many a old tree in the forest fell under the crushing weight of the snow and stormy winds. The elves had done the best they could to preserve as many as they could, but even they could not fight the full might of nature.

In the spring Nala and Tydian planted their seed at the pond they so loved. Tending to the sapling was almost all they did that spring and summer. It took much of their energy, but they still found the strength to take part in the occasional patrol, though more often they chose to spend that strength tending to each others needs.

The winter that followed put their sapling and the strength of their commitment to the test. It was a less harsh winter than the previous one and much to their relief the spring showed the fledgling elf tree to be in good condition and well on its way to becoming as strong tree. This left both of them with more time for other activities as summer came around and the day of their wedding loomed only a few short months away.

O O O

Nala sat on the large tree branch and observed the ground below her. Her green and brown clothing made her blend seamlessly into the foliage. She listened carefully and she could soon hear noises coming her way. Dry twigs breaking and leaves rustling indicated there was a large group heading her way.

She had been patrolling the forest when she had stumbled upon a camp left behind by a large group. There had been several camp fires and by her estimate at least fifty beings had been in the camp. Following them had proven to be easy as they did very little to hide their trail. It hadn't taken her long to catch up to them and circle around them to the get ahead so she could choose a spot for herself from which to observe the visitors.

Nala felt her blood boil as the first of the creatures appeared from the bushes and walked under the tree she was hiding in. Orcs, her mind screamed. She watched with disdain as several of the green skinned brutes walked by. Their faces were pig like, but they also had tusk like corner teeth appearing from their mouth, making them look even more fierce. Nala noted that they were equipped with swords, axes and several had leather armour on them. They were much more better equipped than the average orc tribe. Two orcs walked by, carrying a wild boar that was tied to a wooden pole they carried between them. She counted seventy orcs in total as they walked by her, not realizing they were being observed.

Nala followed the orcs until they stopped at a small clearing. She hid in the tree branches. It seemed like they were going to set up camp and feast on the wild boar. She felt uneasy as there was clearly something different about these orcs. Normally they would have hurried to get out of the forest, but these seemed to be in no hurry to leave. Nala shook her head to disregard the feeling. They're orcs and must be killed no matter what, she told herself.