Chapter 20

Nisoen felt slightly uneasy as he approached the Elf Tree of the Stardancer family. The discussion he was about to enter would be a delicate one with little room for error.

He found the gate still smashed in, but at least it had been lifted to lean against the frame that had once held it in place. Two guards stood at the gate. They both looked determined to keep anyone out. The visit from Nala seemed to have lit their spirits to not fail again.

After informing the guards of his name and intentions and that the Lady of the house was waiting for him, the guards became much more friendly and one of them guided him into the garden. It was a warm, sunny day, so it wasn't that uncommon that meetings were held outside in gardens and such.

They found the Lady sitting by a small table amidst some lilacs. It was a private sort of corner in the garden as the plants created almost a room like fixture around the table. There was an extra chair for Nisoen to sit on. The guard that had guided him stepped some way away, but remained close enough for the Lady to be able to call him should the need arise.

“Captain Dawnvine, please, sit down. To what do I owe the pleasure?” asked the Lady as she sipped some honey tea from a finely crafted cup. She no longer wore the colours of mourning, but a green dress that made her look almost majestic. Her green eyes stared at Nisoen intently, making him feel almost trapped.

He took a seat opposite to her. “Thank you for seeing me, Lady Stardancer. You are likely aware of the duty the council has bestowed upon me?”

“I am,” she admitted. “How goes the investigation into the actions of Inorinn? I trust she will receive proper punishment for her lies?”

“Alas, I only investigate,” lamented Nisoen. “The punishment is for the council to decide, but I believe they will have little choice based on the results of my investigation.”

“Good,” said the Lady firmly. “I hate being used in others political games.” She poured some more tea for herself. Nisoen declined when she offered him some as well.

“But I doubt this is why you came to talk to me, dear captain,” she said. “Why don't you get to the point?”

A small smile briefly crossed Nisoen's face. “To be honest I have come to ask for your help.”

“My help?” asked the Lady, sounding surprised.

“To be more precise, the help of your daughter,” continued Nisoen. He hesitated for a moment before adding. “There has been some new information about the dealings that may have led to your sons untimely demise.”

“And how might my daughter be of help in the matter?” asked the Lady.

“She is set to likely replace Nerduin in the council, is she not?” asked Nisoen. Given what had happened it seemed an unlikely outcome for anyone observing from the outside, but the council had its own inner workings and reasons for choosing who was on it and who wasn't.

“There is the possibility,” admitted the Lady.

“I will be honest with you, Lady,” said Nisoen. “There is proof that your son had dealings with some shady figures. What is of concern is that he was not the only one in the council. He was pulled in by that person. What I need your daughters help with is to lure out that person so we can catch her and bring her before the council for judgement.”

Lady Stardancer took a moment to digest what she had been told. Of course, the fact that the council might still be compromised troubled her. After all, she was a firm believer in the rule of the council. If it was corrupt, it was of dire consequences for the elves in the long run. But more than that, someone had enticed her son to the path that had taken his life. Deep down she had know her son could not have gone down such paths on his own, but now there was an actual opportunity to reveal who it had been. She could not let that slide away.